CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Where to find 54x media?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 762 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Where to find 54x media? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where to find 54x media? - 3/27/2004 7:51:22 PM   
malibu_ss_1966

Hello I live in Canada and I'm having trouble finding 54x CD-R media. All the major stores seem to only carry 48x or 52x, which my Mistumi drive burns at 40x, unfortunately. I've looked at all the major stores and major brands.. Where can I find such media?
Post #: 1
RE: Where to find 54x media? - 3/28/2004 1:23:08 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well, if you ask Mitsumi, they will tell you to buy Mitsumi brand media, which is actually made by Postech, and is about the crappiest stuff you'll ever find.

The fact is, Mitsumi created a CD Burner with a standard all their own, and no media manufacturer cares enough to make media just for them. In fact, most media manufacturers don't even care about 52x media, since 48x is by far outselling 52x CD-Rs. Of course, 52x is still being made in large quantities, but in a lot of cases is being sold as 48x since that is the most commonly requested speed.

So in short. There are no 54x CD-Rs, but you may be able to find something which will burn at 54x anyways. Good luck!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to malibu_ss_1966)
Post #: 2
RE: Where to find 54x media? - 3/28/2004 8:30:23 AM   
malibu_ss_1966

So basically I need to wait until everyone else catches up to Mitsumi..

Post #: 3
RE: Where to find 54x media? - 3/28/2004 2:18:57 PM   
Laffin Assassin

I personally don't think anyone wants to catch up with Mitsumi they are quite happy at writing at the Standard speed of 52x so therefore you are going to have big problems finding anything that will write at 54x !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

Post #: 4
RE: Where to find 54x media? - 3/28/2004 2:30:41 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Peronally, I'm pretty happy burning at 16x-24x on a regular basis. But the speed difference between 40x and 52x, or even 54x is pretty small. I wonder if the difference between 52x and 54x is even noticable?

Basically the 54x writing speed thing is more marketing then functionality. I'm sure it will burn at 54x on *SOME* media out there... but probably not to much of it.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

Post #: 5
RE: Where to find 54x media? - 3/28/2004 7:47:27 PM   
malibu_ss_1966

Yea I guess the speed difference is pretty minute, eh? Fair enough. It's just a bit frustrating buying the fastest drive on the market and finding out that it's not the fastest in practical terms.

It happens far too much in the technology industry these days.. Companies going with poorly supported standards for their own gain.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Where to find 54x media? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI