CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Samsung Applies for Virtual Screen Patent !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1411 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Samsung Applies for Virtual Screen Patent ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Samsung Applies for Virtual Screen Patent ! - 4/14/2006 3:47:21 PM   
SiliconFreak

Samsung to patent technology of projected screen you can write on

Samsung has just applied for a patent on a virtual screen technology, according to Unwiredview.com, for mobile phones which is an innovative version a PDA screen. The Virtual Display technology is a combination of multiple components which work together to take written text and transform it into an electronic form of text.

Here's the catch; the Virtual Display is projected in front of the device as an image on a flat surface. The user will then be able to write on the projected image where the movement of the stylus will be recorded and translated by the device to convert it into written text. From that point on the device will work like a PDA to change written text to electronic text or font type text.

From the abstract of the patent application:

To input characters or drawings through a virtual screen, the mobile terminal includes an electronic pen, a virtual screen generator, a position detector for detecting the electronic pen position, and a character recognition algorithm for recognizing a trail as a character. When a signal is input from the electronic pen, the mobile terminal detects the originating position of the signal and its trail. The mobile terminal recognizes the detected trail as a character and generates a virtual screen with the recognized character.

It may be a while before we see this in actual retail devices, or it may be never since this is just a patent application. However, it's interesting to know that there are companies out there working on variations of current technologies that may make life on the road simpler.

Source : DailyTech

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Samsung Applies for Virtual Screen Patent ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI