CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x???   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1322 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 10/29/2001 11:35:58 PM   
Zeitgeist

Hi Guys,
I intend on purchasing a new CDRW in the morning & need some advice.
I originally intended to buy the 16x10x40 Plextor because of all of the great reviews & the recent price drops & rebate offer.
I found the 16x in a retail box on pricewatch for $163 shipped, but then on a hunch I looked up the new 24x & found it in a retail box for only $12usd more!
The only user info I have been able to get on this unit, however, has been from this forum. Understandibly, the posts here have mostly been about problems with the 24x10x40 burner. Afterall, if there were no problems whatsoever, then this forum would probably be dead for the mostpart.

My questions to you Guys & Gals are:
Should I go for the reportedly reliable 16x burner & save a couple of bucks, or go for the new unit & hope to get reliable consistent 24x burns???
Should I think about a different burner all togther?
Is anyone 100% satisfied with his/her Plexi 24x10x40?

Thanks in advance
Z

SYS info:1.1Ghz Athlon w/ ASUS A7V, 512Mb Ram, Geforce2 MX, SB Live Digital ,ASUS DVD,HP CDRW, 45GB Maxtor, 13GB Maxtor, NIC, Win 98SE

Post #: 1
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 10/30/2001 6:34:38 AM   
katz

Z, i have never owned the 16x plextor but i have also heard good reviews about it. I have the 24x plextor and it is nothing short of awesome. the 16x cannot copy sd2 protection, but the 24x can. if you purchase it before october 31st, there is also a 20$ rebate (usa and canada). plextor gives you till the end of november to mail it in.
100% satisfied,
katz

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 2
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 10/30/2001 7:08:38 AM   
rjw

100% is a big word, but I'm sattisfied. The only problem that I have is that the drive opens slow. But also the 16 speed drive isn't a fast opener.

Anyway I think that it's better to buy the 24. Specially when you want to copy the new games which are protected with Safedisc 2.
About problems with burning I only created one coaster at this time with it and that was because of my own fault.

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 3
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 10/30/2001 8:56:53 AM   
Cheng

I also get Plexter 2410a. So far I am totally satidfied with that driver ! it copy everythings perfectly
All the copy I made can be readed by almost every driver I tried !
However, the reading speed of some protection game is bit slow than I was expected, but it is not a very big deal !

Plextor 2410 is out and with higher stability and CD-R capability ..it is no opint to consider the old Plextor 1610 anymore.

WC

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 4
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 10/30/2001 11:20:12 PM   
Clint

Agreed but I don't know cause I don't have mine yet. Probably ordering tomorrow (its pretty expensive here in Oz -$570- AUD)

You get what you pay for...

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 5
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 11/6/2001 11:32:36 PM   
Zeitgeist

Thanks Guys
I ordered the Plexi-
Should be in by the weekend!
Z

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 6
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 11/14/2001 4:19:37 PM   
clawso1

Check out the following website review on the Plextor 24X drive. It's pretty long, but they test for just about everything. http://www.cdrwcentral.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=23

quote:

Hi Guys,
I intend on purchasing a new CDRW in the morning & need some advice.
I originally intended to buy the 16x10x40 Plextor because of all of the great reviews & the recent price drops & rebate offer.
I found the 16x in a retail box on pricewatch for $163 shipped, but then on a hunch I looked up the new 24x & found it in a retail box for only $12usd more!
The only user info I have been able to get on this unit, however, has been from this forum. Understandibly, the posts here have mostly been about problems with the 24x10x40 burner. Afterall, if there were no problems whatsoever, then this forum would probably be dead for the mostpart.

My questions to you Guys & Gals are:
Should I go for the reportedly reliable 16x burner & save a couple of bucks, or go for the new unit & hope to get reliable consistent 24x burns???
Should I think about a different burner all togther?
Is anyone 100% satisfied with his/her Plexi 24x10x40?

Thanks in advance
Z

SYS info:1.1Ghz Athlon w/ ASUS A7V, 512Mb Ram, Geforce2 MX, SB Live Digital ,ASUS DVD,HP CDRW, 45GB Maxtor, 13GB Maxtor, NIC, Win 98SE

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 7
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 11/16/2001 5:40:11 AM   
mange26

What about us who already have bought a Plextor 16x, some weeks ago and donīt want to buy another one just so we can copy SD2 discs? Will there be any updates in the future that can make this possible? Or can we just forget about it until we buy a new burner?

I also have a comment about questions of which burner to buy, 16x or 24x. I think itīs important to realize that the burning time for one audio-disc is about 3 or 5 minutes. Who cares about one or two extra minutes when youīre burning a disc? I say like someone did in another forum, if you canīt wait an extra minute then your into some kind of illegal mass-producing. The difference between a 2x burner and a 16x burner is something else.

Of course if the price isnīt much higher for the 24x itīs an easy choice. And if youīre into SD2 copying itīs an easy choice to.

At last I want say to Clawso1 that the comments to that dude with the SD2 problem really rocked!

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 8
RE: Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? - 11/16/2001 7:11:18 AM   
rjw

Safedisc 2 isn't the only difference since new versions of the plextor 16 speed drive cannot read data subchannels. So if you don't have a good reader for this than also go with the plexwriter 24. However I still don't know what the new clone cd can do against it? I will try tonight.
(3.0.2.1)

(in reply to Zeitgeist)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Which one should I purchase Plex 16x or 24x??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI