CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

16x -R drive and media?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 381 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> 16x -R drive and media? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
16x -R drive and media? - 1/9/2006 3:28:43 PM   
nemix

I'm a new member of this site, and have spent the last few hours reading the forums and some drive reviews.  All of the information is great, I'm a little overwhelmed, and looking for some practical hands on user opinions.  I'm thinking of ordering a new 16x dvd-r drive, and ordering some coorisponding 16x media.

I'm looking to see if anyone has hands on experience, good or bad, with drives and media.  I'm mainly concerned with being able to burn at 16x and still have a good quality compatible disk for set top boxes.  I do many custom back ups of dvds i own for my children (ages 2 and 4) doing things like removing menus and previews, making the disk auto-repeat and stringing multiple kids dvds together to limit changes of disks.  (i.e. two thomas the tank disks will fit on one disk if i stip out all the extras).  I also do many custom dvd for friends and family of home video, events, ect. 

Is it practical for me to go 16x today?  or wait for better drives and media? 

(looking at ritek, Taiyo Yuden, optodisk, verbatim)

Post #: 1
RE: 16x -R drive and media? - 1/9/2006 4:20:39 PM   
SithTracy

If you are looking for compatability, +R media is better along with a drive that you can booktype the +R media to DVD-ROM...  I suggest you look at the latest drive offerrings from BenQ and LG.  You'll also need to get DVDFab Decryptor and Try to find DVD Shrink or use Nero Recode to fit multiple episodes of "Thomas" onto a single disc...

(in reply to nemix)
Post #: 2
RE: 16x -R drive and media? - 1/10/2006 1:58:55 AM   
Antonio

"...Is it practical for me to go 16x today?  or wait for better drives and media? ..."

Yeap, todays 16X burners are very good. If you wait more then you'll never get a drive.

Get a drive, according to your needs, but make sure it has great writing quality wth most media. Get also good media such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden if you need 100% relibility.

salute proffessionista!

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: 16x -R drive and media? - 1/10/2006 10:11:19 AM   
nemix

Thanks for the replies.  I usually use TY media, is there a specefic drive that shows excellent write quality with 16x TYs?  Anyone have personal experience with 16x -r or +r TY media and a drive that has yeilded really good success?

(in reply to nemix)
Post #: 4
RE: 16x -R drive and media? - 1/10/2006 12:00:09 PM   
Antonio

Wit TY media, are you serious? Almost all drives burn them with excellent quality. My Plextor 716 also does. I use the +R.

salute proffessionista!

(in reply to nemix)
Post #: 5
RE: 16x -R drive and media? - 4/14/2006 2:24:14 PM   
themediaman

I agree that Taiyo Yuden is most definatly the best. Verbatim is a little odd because some of the Verbatim stuff is made by other comapnies, like what you buy in a Retail store in retail pack. Basically the easiest way to tell if it is real Verbatim is if it is in a 50 pack. Most 50 packs with no RETAIL style label are real Verbatims, they should have MCC for the code, not CMC like some of them show in Nero Info Tool. If you want to play it safe, Taiyo is the only one who makes Taiyo. http://www.mediamegamall.com seems to have about the best prices I have seen for these products. There are some other good stores too out there.

(in reply to Antonio)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> 16x -R drive and media? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI