CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Who makes Datawrite and Discrite CD-Rs?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1277 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Who makes Datawrite and Discrite CD-Rs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who makes Datawrite and Discrite CD-Rs? - 1/15/2004 10:10:17 PM   
Dimitris

Hello, in the past I have bought a spindle of 100 "Discrite" branded CD-R's, which CD-R Media Code Identifier v1.63 identified as:

ATIP: 97m 26s 26f
Disc Manufacturer: SKC Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

Today, I bought a spindle of 25 CD-R's that are branded "Datawrite". I opened up CD-R Identifier, and here are the details:

ATIP: 97m 24s 16f
Disc Manufacturer: Sony Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

I was wondering, who is manufacturing the CD-R's for "SKC Co. Ltd" and for "Sony Corporation"? Could the "Sony Corporation" disks be made by Taiyo Yuden?

John / MP3 Mogul / Laffin Assassin what do you think?

If anybody else has any ideas, please share them with me.... Any responses would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Who makes Datawrite and Discrite CD-Rs? - 1/16/2004 5:01:56 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

SKC believe it or not is their own manufacturer... of course that doesn't mean that someone isn't spoofing their ATIP code... I've had very little exposure to SKC media, but from the few that I've worked with, i'd put it them about on par with Prodisc for CD-R quality, which means they aren't great, but they aren't horrible either.

As for the Sony discs, I *HIGHLY* doubt that they were actually made by Sony themselves, since Sony doesn't even have enough production time to fill the orders for their own Sony name brand!! [:I] It is most likely another manufacturer using Sony's code, but that might actually be a good thing! Sony's disc from my experience are very poor in quality, and very sporadic! So I would tread carefully on those ones (don't burn important data on them).

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Who makes Datawrite and Discrite CD-Rs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI