CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Holographic-memory discs launched next year !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 728 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! - 11/26/2005 6:57:33 PM   
SiliconFreak

A firm which makes a disc that can hold 60 times more data than a DVD said it is ready to release the product next year.

InPhase Technologies, based in Colorado, has developed a commercially viable version of a holographic disc which can hold 300 gigabytes of data and can be used to read and write data 10 times faster than a normal DVD.

InPhase Technologies spokesperson Liz Murphy said that unlike other technologies that record one data bit at a time, holography allows a million bits of data to be written and read in parallel with a single flash of light. This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage device.

The discs, are 13 centimetres across and a little wider than normal DVDs. They store data in a light-sensitive crystal material using the interference of laser light. A single light beam is split and passed through a semi-transparent material. This acts like a filter, changing different parts of the beam to encode bits of information.

The altered beam and the reference beam are then recombined in the light-sensitive material and their pattern of interference provides a record of the encoded information.

More in the New Scientist, here.

Source : TheInquirer/New Scientist
Post #: 1
RE: Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! - 11/27/2005 12:51:42 AM   
major9686

so .. is this for real ?
it sounds like it was taken out of a back to the future movie .. ;)
ha ha ..
anyways .. whats next ? holographic tv's ? ha ha ..

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! - 11/27/2005 11:38:30 AM   
SiliconFreak

exactly.....next to come are holographic tv's....then much much more....future has lots of hidden potential you know....

(in reply to major9686)
Post #: 3
RE: Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! - 11/28/2005 6:18:59 AM   
Tony Veglis

..premium technology for premium users. Technically impressive, however. But commercialization is far away, if decided. Do you remember Calimetrics' Multi-level recording ?

Post #: 4
RE: Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! - 11/29/2005 1:57:09 AM   
major9686

quote:

ORIGINAL: SiliconFreak

exactly.....next to come are holographic tv's....then much much more....future has lots of hidden potential you know....

I know .. virtual babes ;) ha ha ..

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Holographic-memory discs launched next year ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI