CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 734 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/12/2003 8:13:35 PM   
Daemos

well I found a place in my city that sells non-labled generic Ritek Silver "HQ" CDRs.

http://www.cbit.ca/home.html

They're REALLY cheap...

35.95 Canadian for 100 CDRs. I've heard things like the labeled Ritek discs are better...but are these discs still good? I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to...

I mean I spend 35.95 for 50 Fujifilm discs (either made in japan or made in Taiwan discs)

So I want to know if the Ritek ones are good or not...I plan to use them for short-long term storage of a few years.
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 12/12/2003 8:37:51 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Daemos)
  Post #: 2
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 12:42:33 AM   
Daemos

I didn't buy them because returning them at that store would be a waste of time and a very big hassle.

They're Ritek CDRs that burn at 48X with silver bottom.

So I don't know if they're yey or ney.

Plextor PX-708A 8X +R 4X-R
LG 4040B 4X +/-R

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 3
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 2:46:32 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, If I lived close to there I would deffinatly have bought some! But they are obviously selling them without the $0.21 levy on CD-R media, which means they are doing so illegaly...unless there cost is less then $0.15 CDN....(I don't think so!)

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 4
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 3:40:25 AM   
MP3Mogul

If you "edit" your profile to show you are in Canada it would be most helpful when answering questions.

I did not know that CDR Media is so expensive there. I am glad that we do not have a "levy" on the media here in the US. It is very common for me to find TY (Fuji) 48X Media in a 50 pack spindle for around 14.99 here or 19.69 (Canadian)..... The discs you found were probably a good buy then, I think I would have went ahead with that.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 5
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 8:24:23 AM   
Daemos

quote:
Originally posted by MP3Mogul

If you "edit" your profile to show you are in Canada it would be most helpful when answering questions.

I did not know that CDR Media is so expensive there. I am glad that we do not have a "levy" on the media here in the US. It is very common for me to find TY (Fuji) 48X Media in a 50 pack spindle for around 14.99 here or 19.69 (Canadian)..... The discs you found were probably a good buy then, I think I would have went ahead with that.

http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5121479.html?tag=nefd_lede

That explains why we have a levy, so downloading mp3s are perfectly legal in Canada :) We don't have to worry about the RIAA, nor do we even care :) But lets not start a which country is better thread...they're stupid and pointless

PS. The Levy is charged to the wholesellers, it's up to them to pass the levy onto the consumers or not.

I don't find CDR media to be expensive at all IMO...Although where I live it's hard to find OEM discs like TY discs that are labeled as TY discs, we have memorex, maxell, fuji film, sony etc, then the only "OEM" brand we have are Prodisc, Ritek, Princo (ewww but super cheap) and other junk :)

I'm just concerned that the Ritek might not be any good just because they're "unlabeled" discs...

Is there any quality/longitivity issues with non-labeled media?

The huge reason I'm kinda iffy is because although they are cheap, amongst enthusast computer people, they have a shrud business when it comes to hardware...but some people have said their media is "okay"

LG 4040B 4X +/-R

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 6
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 7:55:44 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well, there is no way of knowing if the company has purchased 'B' stock from Ritek (or elsewhere), is is not passing that information onto the customer. But generally speaking, *ALL* the media I use myself is unbranded media. However I do use a lot of branded media for my reviews. Generally speaking there are few differences between them, but I also know exactly where my media is coming from, and few consumers can say the same.

As for the CD levy and how it works, I have to work directly with the CPCC themselves 5 days a week (because of the company I work for), and I know that they will persue legal action against any person not remitting the levy properly. Now if your compter store is selling the media without the levy, they still need to remit it to the CPCC, which basically means they will take a loss on every CD sale (not likely to happen!). The only way the store is safe, is if they are re-selling products that they purchased locally in Canada... in which case they will be audited to confirm that, and then the CPCC will go after their supplier. The CPCC is VERY interested in these cases, because it allows them to maintain *high* operating costs, and keep their staff very well paid. Remember, that as a "non profit" organization, the CPCC can only pay themselves "reasonable" operating costs, so the more "work" they do, the more they can pay themselves...ever wonder why no artist has received money from the levy? Maybe there isn't any left [:I] ....but I digress.

At that price, the Ritek's are worth the risk in my opinion. Since Ritek CD-Rs land at about $0.26 canadian, it is not unreasonable to assume that the store is making $0.10 per disc profit on them.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 7
RE: Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? - 12/13/2003 9:01:49 PM   
Daemos

Alright I'll pick up some later next week.

That's the things with computer stores in my area (winnipeg) There are just so many most stores will take a loss on blank cds and smaller pieces of hardware, so they can advertise a lower price and people will go to them.

hopefully they turn out to be good discs, I'll use CDrid and pass on my findings to you.

LG 4040B 4X +/-R

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Cheap non-Labeled Ritek CDRs good/bad? Worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI