CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

- vs + for DVD Bckup   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 910 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> - vs + for DVD Bckup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- vs + for DVD Bckup - 11/7/2005 11:59:07 AM   
AndreL

Wanting to know if one is better than the other. + vs - Cause my player can handle both types. Just wanting to see if one had something over the other. With Bitsetting + comes out on top cause it can be transfer to a DVD-ROM
Post #: 1
RE: - vs + for DVD Bckup - 11/7/2005 1:47:10 PM   
SithTracy

Personally, I go for whatever is a better deal at the time.  I've had no issues with either disc type.  I primarily use +R for home movies that I convert frim tape and set the book-type to DVD-ROM for sharing with family, but use either +R or -R for data backup... for that it makes no difference to me.

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 11/7/2005 2:22:10 PM >

(in reply to AndreL)
Post #: 2
RE: - vs + for DVD Bckup - 11/7/2005 2:43:53 PM   
JeanLuc

For 16x high-speed, -R media is often believed to be technically superior due to the lower wobble frequencies (compared to +R) ... the german pc magazine c't believes that the higher wobble frequencies of the +R format affect disc jitter and thus playability on standalone devices and PI-Sum 8.

AFAIK, the wobble frequency is used to modulate the spiral groove so a given drive can extract trhe exact disc position out of the groove modulation.

Personally, I found it easier to find +R media of decent quality than good -R so I bought +R only and set the booktype to "DVD-ROM" to increase playability ... but with Verbatim 16x -R (MID: MCC03RG20) being affordable and widely available, I use these quite often now.

Taiyo Yuden's 8x and 16x -R (MID's: TYG02 & TYG 03) are widely believed to be the best media available at this time ...

Plextor PX-716A 1.05 & Premium 1.06
NEC ND2500A, LG 4163B & LG 8400B (on Reserve)
Plextor PX-116A1 and PX-40TSi (onReserve)
LiteOn LTR-52246S (External) & BenQ DW1620 Pro B7U9
LiteOn SOHD-167T 9S19

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: - vs + for DVD Bckup - 11/7/2005 2:51:19 PM   
Antonio

Yeap me too. Morover it depends on your burner. For example some burners prefer minus format or some other plus format. In that case it is better to get the appropriate media.

I think there is no actual difference foa all us end users.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> - vs + for DVD Bckup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI