CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

BenQ DW1640 Install Questions   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 562 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> BenQ DW1640 Install Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/2/2005 1:07:57 PM   
gfuhrer

Just bought a BenQ DW1640 Drive from NewEgg. Came as OEM. This is to replace my Pioneer A04 drive as it has so much trouble rewriting DVD-RW discs.

I just want to check my install procedure with all you experts, as the BenQ drive came with no drivers, just a Nero software disc:

1) From hardware manager, 'uninstall' the Pioneer drive
2) Turn off the machine
3) Physically remove the Pioneer drive
4) Install the BenQ drive
5) Start up the PC
6) Let WinXP install default drivers
7) Install the firmware checker and flash the firmware as necessary
8) Install the QSuite and Nero software

Hardware specs:
Compaq 8QSXE1 (AMD Athlon 1900 processor)
1 GIG RAM
240 GIGs Hard Drive
Compaq CD ROM in the first bay
(this would be the 2nd, slave drive)
Windows XP Home, SP1

Thanks!!!
-Gil
Post #: 1
RE: BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/2/2005 2:37:18 PM   
Zebadee

(in reply to gfuhrer)
Post #: 2
RE: BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/2/2005 10:46:13 PM   
gfuhrer

Thanks Zebadee!!

So far so good. The drive came right up on my PC. QSuite sees it. Nero sees it. Played a DVD Movie with no problem. Erasing a DVD-RW disc right now, then going to try to right to it (this was a 'coaster' with the Pioneer drive...the 1640 was even able to read it after the Pioneer could not!)

(in reply to Zebadee)
Post #: 3
RE: BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/2/2005 10:58:06 PM   
Zebadee

Hi
Great news.
Good luck with future writes.

(in reply to gfuhrer)
Post #: 4
RE: BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/3/2005 4:31:35 PM   
troublemann

All that sounds OK for the install, but there is one thing that you must be sure of and that's make sure that your disc are clean.  If you try to copy a dirty disc and the drive generates a crc error windows XP will downgrade your drives from UDMA mode to PIO mode without your knowing.  This is a major problem with XP and  it only happens with a dirty or strached disc.  Do a search on the internet and you will see that this is a major problem.  I own the Benq 1640, NEC 3540 and NEC 3520 and the Benq is the only drive that gave me the error, so I gave it away.  It just caused too many problems, I always had to check and make sure it was in UDMA mode, other than that it's a great drive and maybe it can be fixed in a later firmware update.

(in reply to gfuhrer)
Post #: 5
RE: BenQ DW1640 Install Questions - 11/4/2005 10:00:31 AM   
gfuhrer

Thanks for the heads-up, Troubleman.

So far, the drive is SWEET!! Installation went without any problems at all. I also updated the firmware to BSLB last night and I've been happily burning CDRs and DVD+RWs. Really amazed at the speed and stability.

I've also learned that my Princo DVD-Rs are, well, worthless (probably ALL my problems with the Pioneer drive came from the fact I was using this bad media, but, hey, I'm glad that made me upgrade the drive!).

Really, really happy with the features of DVD+RW (being able to multisession the discs is great!!)

Next up: reinstall the Pioneer drive into Bay 1 (contains a Lite-On CDROM right now) and see if I can get true DVD to DVD copying going.

I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again from this Newbie!!

-Gil

(in reply to troublemann)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> BenQ DW1640 Install Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI