CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 867 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals ! - 9/12/2005 7:27:37 AM   
SiliconFreak

At the recently ended Internationale Funkaustellung (IFA) 2005 show in Berlin, Toshiba provided another glimpse into its surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) TV technology, with the company stating the SED flat panel TV will support full HDTV resolution (1,920×1,080 pixels), while adding that the first SED panels to hit the market will have a 50-inch diagonal.

Toshiba is touting SED technology as delivering picture quality similar to that of CRT monitors, with the new technology achieving response times of under a millisecond. Like traditional CRT TVs, SED technology is based on the targeted emission of electrons. When they hit the screen, these electrons cause a phosphor-based fluorescent layer in the glass surface to light up.

However, CRTs have to make do with just a single, bundled electron beam that is then scattered horizontally and vertically at the point of contact in order to build up the picture line by line, the company explained. SEDs, on the other hand, have as many electron emitters as there are pixels on the screen. Since there is no need to scatter the electron beams, it is possible to make far bigger SED displays than would have been conceivable using CRT technology.

In addition, SED TVs have no need for a separate backlighting mechanism. Light is provided by electrons colliding with the phosphor-coated screen. As a result, picture quality no longer depends on the viewing angle and lighting is spread evenly across the whole display, the company stated. SED technology cuts the average power consumption to half of that of a PDP (plasma display panel) or two-thirds that of an LCD of comparable size, Toshiba added

Earlier this year, Kazunori Fukuma, managing director of Display Devices & Components Control Center of Toshiba stated Toshiba expects its joint venture with Canon, SED, to start shipping products to the market next March.

Source : DigiTimes

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals ! - 9/13/2005 12:34:09 AM   
Dartman

OOOH! I  got a Toshiba 16x9 34' widescreen after X-mas for myself becuase it was the best combo of quality picture, inputs, and price. I'd love a bigger screen that looks as nice and weighs less, plus uses less juice. The other technologies still can't absolutely beat a good CRT set though they are much larger. Now of course I'd probably have to win the lottery to get one, my new set was spendy enough  

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals ! - 9/13/2005 6:43:32 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha...either you wait for lottery win...or...you could maybe ask MP3Mogul VERY POLITELY if he could lend you some money....you know...a loan.... Or maybe he already has this new TV set...and its just collecting dust....so he would give it to you for free....who knows...ask him....but like i said...BE VERY POLITE!!!

(in reply to Dartman)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> First Toshiba SED TVs to have 50-inch diagonals ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI