CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

WiFi pistol appears at Defcon !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 312 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! - 8/1/2005 12:33:11 AM   
SiliconFreak

Every year, smaller, more powerful processors come to market - hacker weaponry follows the same trend. Last year, the Shmoo Group and Flexilis demonstrated long-ranged WiFi and Bluetooth rifles, but this year, wireless weaponry becomes smaller, but much more powerful. The Shmoo Group, known for melding cool security gear into hardware, showed off their latest creation, a powerful 802.11 pistol, which can detect WiFi networks for miles.

The WiFi pistol consists of a Compaq IPaq PDA, a Compact Flash battery sleeve, a Senao wireless card, a 9db patch antenna, a rotary attenuator, one watt amp and an external battery pack.

The electronics are mounted on a slingshot frame that has an integrated pistol grip. The PDA runs Wellreiter, which is a network detection and auditing tool similar to NetStumbler or Kismet. With everything turned up full blast, the pistol can detect networks miles away. Beetle, a member of the Shmoo Group, says that the pistol usually detects 50-60 networks instantly.

The one watt amplifier, combined with the nine db antenna and the power coming the Senao card, produce an incredible amount of radiated energy. The rotary attenuator can reduce the power feeding the antenna, to prevent power swamping of close access points. Under normal usage, Beetle says that the pistol can last eight hours straight.

Source : TomsHardware

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! - 8/1/2005 6:38:53 AM   
sp

quote:

The one watt amplifier, combined with the nine db antenna ...

Using this pistol for more than a few minutes daily, the man on the photo will soon look like a fried chicken... (hopefully, not one from KFC...)

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! - 8/1/2005 5:57:08 PM   
SiliconFreak

No no, sp....its only 1WATT we are talking about....and only 9dB antenna...so if that was the case...then 99.99 of computer population would already vanished....because if we can survive sitting beside all those kW in our cases less than 1m away....then this guy can "shoot" with this gun for the next 10 million years without having to worry about nothing else than his food,water and sexy babes....

Its all about sex,drugs and rock&roll, remember....or at least was...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 8/1/2005 5:58:36 PM >

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
RE: WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! - 8/3/2005 1:09:04 PM   
sp

Consider this:

9db compared to 3db that the average build-in antenna boosts the wi-fi signal, means a 4-fold power increase in radiation.

Moreover, 1W = 33 x 30mW. (30mW=average power of built-in PC WiFi cards.)

In total, this means more than 120 times more radiation. Taking into account that the radiating source (as seen in the photo) is about 1m away from the user's (victim) head and that radiation decreases disproportional to the length in the power of 2, this means that you effectively play the game as if you were sitting about 5cm near your PC's wi-fi antenna.

I would certainly not do this, provided I know about the consequences of such an (careless) action...

< Message edited by sp -- 8/3/2005 1:10:33 PM >

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! - 8/4/2005 4:15:35 AM   
SiliconFreak

Yes i agree...but look...what if the signal is pointed ahead only?...i.e....only some 20degrees angle in front of this "gun" is "dangerous"....and the rest is protected with leaded plates?

And finally...dont worry...because i may give you an example here...yesterday i just watched on TV (CNN I think...or some discovery....dont know exactly)....and there was survivor from 2nd world war...from Japan....who was less than 2km away from where the atomic bomb exploded...and if he survived....then i dont know...then this is just a baby's toy to play with....recommended for all older than 3 years.... Btw...is there a way for you to calculate how much radiation was there 2km away from center of atomic blast? And how would you explain that he survived (he said that he felt some extreme heat...and he saw a light that was 1000 or 10000 times brighter than a flash of lightining)... I believe he really is one VERY LUCKY SURVIVOR...one in million or even more...cause only 1 or 2 buildings still stand after all that....and the rest of Hiroshima was flattened...

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> WiFi pistol appears at Defcon ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI