CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft's Mandatory Anti-Piracy Program Goes Live !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1232 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft's Mandatory Anti-Piracy Program Goes Live ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft's Mandatory Anti-Piracy Program Goes Live ! - 7/27/2005 7:59:03 AM   
WinThusiast

The Windows Genuine Advantage program makes it mandatory for all users of Windows XP to submit to an authenticity test.

After almost a year of pilot testing, Microsoft’s Windows Genuine Advantage program, designed to nab counterfeit copies of Windows, has finally gone live worldwide.

As part of the program’s terms, Microsoft is making it mandatory for all Windows customers to electronically submit their copy of Windows to determine its authenticity before users can download patches, update and fixes.

Microsoft said the intent is not to punish unwitting victims that might have received counterfeit or stolen copies of Windows, but to nab system builders that preload machines with counterfeit or stolen copies of Windows bearing false Certificate of Authenticity (COA) labels, said David Lazar, director for Genuine Windows at Microsoft.

Testing for the program began in September 2004 and has been ongoing in China, Norway and the Czech Republic since February and in the United States since May. The program was to go into effect midday Tuesday, Lazar said.

If a copy of Windows is determined to be counterfeit, Microsoft said users have three options: They can file a counterfeit report with proof of purchase; send in the counterfeit CD and get a valid copy; or, if they choose not provide this data and information about the supplier, they can pay a $99 upgrade fee for Windows XP Home Edition or a $149 fee for Windows XP Professional.

In addition, Windows users can choose not to participate. But by doing so, they forfeit rights to updates via Microsoft.com and Microsoft Update and other value-added materials that Microsoft provides to participants. There are workarounds that enable a user to get access to important fixes and updates if they need them.

Through the program, Microsoft hopes to catch distributors and systems builders that preload illegal copies of Windows on their systems. This practice costs Microsoft and law abiding system builders an estimated $31 billion per year in economic damage, according to the company.

More...

Source : Desktop Pipeline
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft's Mandatory Anti-Piracy Program Goes Live ! - 7/29/2005 3:59:23 AM   
CoolBreeze

***********************************************************************************

************************************************************************************

ENJOY

EDIT BY SILICONFREAK : Please dont post such information here anymore CoolBreeze!!! This time its only a polite warning, but next time more extreme measures will be taken!  Enjoy your time around and once more please dont post things like that again!

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 7/29/2005 5:08:21 PM >

May the force be with me

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft's Mandatory Anti-Piracy Program Goes Live ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI