CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yahoo Firefox toolbar reaches Mac and Linux   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1267 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Yahoo Firefox toolbar reaches Mac and Linux Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yahoo Firefox toolbar reaches Mac and Linux - 7/24/2005 12:39:28 PM   
LinuxMarshall

Yahoo! has followed in Google's footsteps by making its toolbar available on three popular desktop operating systems

Yahoo has started offering a beta version of its toolbar for the open source browser Firefox on Apple Mac OS X and Linux. 

The Firefox version of the Yahoo toolbar, which includes extended bookmarking and anti-spyware features, has been available on Microsoft Windows since February. Before then, the toolbar was only available for Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE). 

Earlier this month, Google released a beta version of its toolbar for Firefox users on Windows, Linux and Mac. The Google Toolbar, which provides features such as spellchecking and translation, has been available on IE for more than four years. 

The availability of such applications on Firefox is further evidence of the growing importance of the open source browser. Over the last year Firefox has taken a significant proportion of the browser market from IE, obtaining more than 10 percent of it in some countries. 

Web analytics firm OneStat.com reports Firefox quadrupling its market share between May 2004 and April 2005, while IE's share dropped by more than 7 percentage points over the same period. Firefox appears to have grabbed even more market share in Europe, with 30 percent, 24 percent and 22 percent of Web surfers using Firefox in Finland, Germany and Hungary respectively. 

Earlier this week ZDNet UK published an interview with Asa Dotzler, the community coordinator for the Mozilla Foundation, in which he spoke about the rise of Firefox in the enterprise, future marketing campaigns and how the Mozilla Foundation plans to target less tech-savvy consumers. 

The Firefox toolbars can be downloaded from the Yahoo and Google Web sites.

Source : ZDNET
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Yahoo Firefox toolbar reaches Mac and Linux Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI