CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 831 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/11/2005 9:37:47 AM   
SiliconFreak

In its regular second quarter conference call Thursday afternoon, Intel chief financial officer Andy Bryant reported revenue on the high side of the company's expectations, with a key factor being a surge in demand for mobile CPUs, led by Pentium M.

"We're seeing a conversion to mobile across the world happen faster than we thought," said Bryant. "We expected [mobile CPU demand] to be stronger when we began the quarter, and it's done even better than we expected."

Leading the surge in demand, Bryant noted, are Asian markets, with mobile CPUs experiencing "strength in all geographies," including Europe and the US. However, he also said that "visibility" is greater in Asian markets, where suppliers record their sales in standard databases and sell directly to customers instead of to retailers.

Recently, industry analysts have publicly speculated that Apple's CPU deal with Intel, announced earlier this week, could provide yet another boost to Pentium M demand. A failure on the part of Power CPU manufacturers, including IBM, to develop a G5 chip both small enough and cool enough for use in Apple's PowerBook models, is believed to be one reason for Apple CEO Steve Jobs' decision to move from Power to Pentium CPUs. If efforts to move PowerBook to a Pentium M platform so much as appear to be accelerated, say analysts, competitive notebook manufacturers may respond with increased Pentium M orders themselves.

Full story...

Source : TomsHardware
Post #: 1
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/11/2005 11:15:24 AM   
semo

this cannot be good news for consumers...

pentium m is far too successful and has become too big too fast so it has not given the chance for amd to strike back

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/11/2005 5:25:20 PM   
MP3Mogul

Cannot be good news for consumers?  This is "FANTASTIC" news!  I LOVE my Pentium M!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/11/2005 7:06:18 PM   
semo

in retail, the seller sets a price as high as he can get away with. if something is in high demand than that seller can set the price of that thing even more unnecessarily high. now add that to the point i made in my first post and you see why it's so bad for the consumer.

i was not talking about the pentium m

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 4
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/11/2005 8:24:11 PM   
MP3Mogul

Yep, that's the good old american way, make a million, screw everyone else!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 5
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/12/2005 6:41:55 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahahaa...

I must say that I partly agree with both of You guys... 

I agree with semo that if some product doesnt have competition...then its manufacturer may set much higher price than ordinary...which is bad for users/buyers of that product (at least for all those whose name isnt MP3Mogul ).... But on the other hand...why blame (in this case) Intel for this...if they made some fantastic product without real competition for now...then they surely can earn more than ordinary...because its AMD who needs to make the move now and strike back, forcing Intel to lower their overboosted prices...

If I start thinking more deeply about all this...I must say that its really strange...sometimes people say they need more power and performance from CPU's (and other products)...and when someone offers that...they start complaining about too high prices....people....stop dreaming....and realise that every major improvement comes with high price tag...so take it or leave it...afterall...if prices seems too high for You....there are still some stores outthere where P3 machines can be bought....for few $$$ only... I know it would be best to have best perfomance available for few $$$....but in todays world....thats just imposible....I believe earnings are still much more important than other values...sad but true... Try looking the other way....what if companies would lower vages for employees each time new child is born? Which would be almost the same we expect from new products...because in our minds we believe that more same products there are on the market...prices should fall...so also....more people there are....lower vage/employee should be... So how would You like that semo? To actually receive lower vage (maybe few $$$ lower each month acording to previous one) from month to month..!? That would surely be a big problem...and not this Intels "game"...where all there is, is to wait maybe month or two more...and everything will be back to normal...

Happy buying everyone...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/12/2005 8:17:42 AM   
semo

riiiight....
you weren't in the middle of finishing another bottle of tequila SF, were you? hehe just j/king
but i get what your saying (or atleast some of it). not saying i want cheap cheap cheap things (oooh maaan i gatta have things cheap!!!!). just want to be sure i'm getting a good deal. if something can be had for less money, why not. don't mind paying for the manufacturing and delivering for the thing and the wages for the ppl that have touched it. just don't want to pay all that and then some and then some and then some and then some and then some and then some only because there is no alternative.

most of all i want anything i've bought to work (even if it's cheap) like the benq 1620 i bought that does not work (properly).

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 7
RE: Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! - 6/12/2005 8:30:46 AM   
SiliconFreak

...actually I was...hahahahaha...so now...I am out of everything...need to restock my beer room asap...

So...exactly as You said...good deal is whats all about....so my belief here is...if You really need or want all the latest stuf...then just go for it....and dont cry about its price...and if not...wait little longer...because...sooner or later prices will drop to a reasonable level(the only question here is WHEN?...but with other manufacturers not sleeping and drinking beer...I believe very soon!)....that all!  And yes, even if its the cheapest of the cheapest deal...IT HAS TO WORK! Thats the top priority of any product!  

Finally...sorry to hear that you have so many problems with your BenQ drive...if I only could help... I hope someone comes with some good answer to your problems asap! Otherwise...maybe replacing drive with some other...better...faster...MORE EXPENSIVE one...might solve Your problems.......but hey...thats another story....

Enjoy & good luck!

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Intel sees surging demand for Pentium M ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI