CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 978 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! - 6/1/2005 6:27:01 PM   
SiliconFreak

The past 16 months or so have seen an unprecedented number of genuine breakthroughs in the field of processor design, especially from AMD. Not only did that company introduce a truly compatible 64-bit processor design which has since dominated the high-end desktop PC market, but it also pioneered the on-die memory controller which has given the Athlon 64 and Opteron chips a leg-up in performance over Intel's offerings. Intel has since adopted 64-bit compatibility also, and now both companies are releasing processors with another brand new feature, dual-cores.

Dual-core processors work pretty much as you'd expect them to. At their most basic, both Intel and AMD have taken two mostly (or in the case of Intel, fully) functional processor cores and joined them together in a single processor die. Each core functions and processes data independently, and the two are co-coordinated by the operating system software.

In this article, PCSTATS is going to focus on both company's versions of this technology, how it works, and the kind of performance boost you can expect from it. Currently only certain of AMD's Opteron server-class processors are available with dual cores, but very shortly AMD will release the Athlon 64 X2 line of dual-core desktop processors. Intel has taken the opposite approach, already releasing the 'Pentium Extreme Edition 840' desktop dual-core chip, while its 'Pentium D' and dual-Xeons lines are not far behind.

Since dual-core processors are essentially a multi-processor system in a convenient package, let's start by looking at some of the multi-processor technologies which have contributed to AMD and Intel's newest products.

Full story here...

Source : PC Stats
Post #: 1
RE: The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! - 6/2/2005 6:03:16 AM   
sp

Dear SiliconFreak, can you tell us if there are any key components of each discrete processor shared by both of them?
That is, why joining 2 processors in one chip is a sort of a high-tech acheivement, except of allowing fast communication between them?

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! - 6/2/2005 9:35:56 AM   
SiliconFreak

Dearest sp 

I believe if You would slow down for few minutes every year or so.......maybe drink a beer or two....smoke a pack of Marlboro....and slowlyyyyy read entire article above (by pressing link button there )...You would find out everything you want to know about multi-core cpu's and differences between them and single core cpu's....

Short answer to Your question would be....joining 2 cpu's into one chip surely isnt some high-tech stuff...its not very easy to put 2 core's(and also 2x amount of  l2 cache - 2mb vs. 1mb before in amd's case or 4mb vs. 2mb in Intel's case) into almost same space where before there was only 1 core...but...not a big innovation neither...the harder stuff is to make everything work together...(look at pictures below)....you will see that memory controller is integrated into chip, so that both cores could access system memory independly...(in AMD's case only!, Intel choosed the way you wrote about-just "glued" 2 same cores together which comunicate through the Northbridge and FSB outside the processor-which is worse by my opinion than AMDs way)....

Dont have time now to explain more....its all in the article above....so nothing very innovative in those multi-core cpu's....exept for one great improvent...THEIR PRICES!!!....here is the biggest innovation....hahahahahaha....and i guess thats all that was behind all that...they just saw that they couldnt raise prices of single cores anymore....so profits would fall sooner or later...and....because of that...this "INNOVATION" was urgently needed....as always....shame on them....and shame on us...cause we are still silent and buy their products for thousands of $$$, when they are at max.worth few $10... They will continue to exploit us until we all stand up and loudly say "Enough of this Bull****....we WANT AFFORDABLE PRODUCTS THAT WORK...and WORK FAST!"

Good luck guys&girls....enough said for today...cya soon....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
RE: The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! - 6/6/2005 10:00:28 AM   
sp

Thank you SF for all his information.

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! - 6/6/2005 11:59:00 PM   
SiliconFreak

No problemo, bro...

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> The Technology Behind Dual Core CPUs ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI