CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1431 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? - 5/31/2005 6:02:38 AM   
SiliconFreak

Why Your spyware scanner may not catch some adware programs.

The next time you run a scan with your anti-spyware tool, it might miss some programs. Several anti-spyware firms, including Aluria, Lavasoft, and PestPatrol, have quietly stopped detecting adware from companies like Claria and WhenU--a process called delisting. Those adware companies have been petitioning anti-spyware firms to delist their software; other companies have resorted to sending cease-and-desist letters that threaten legal action.

In most cases it's difficult for customers to determine whether their anti-spyware tool has delisted anything and, if so, which adware it skips.

"When a spyware program gets delisted, users won't be aware of its presence," says Harvard law student and spyware researcher Ben Edelman. The practice, he says, "offers spyware makers a new lease on life, letting them keep users who otherwise would have removed their software."

Read more...

Source : PC World
Post #: 1
RE: Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? - 5/31/2005 6:11:03 AM   
MP3Mogul

Now that is truely Scary.  Also, this would leave the anti-spyware companies at risk for being sued!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? - 5/31/2005 6:32:28 AM   
SiliconFreak

Mhmmmmmmmmm, SCARY INDEED....

But since Gates constantly says M$ will fight against spammers,spyware,adware...etc....maybe it will soon be time to go with the M$ flow again....and dump those Aluria&Lavasoft alikes.......anddd...M$ will again rule...even in this section...hahahhaahaha...cant believe it...when you think everything will be ok...BOOMMMMMMM...and you are again at the begining and not knowing what to do...

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? - 5/31/2005 6:09:29 PM   
Matthew

"Nice" ad/spyware?

The only time anything should qualify for exemption from an antispyware program, is if its prescence can be identified, and removal achieved by a user of average competence ... eg. using add/remove programs, and it does not cause undue disruption to the system by being present, or by being removed.

The "Code of backchannel conduxct" http://www.grc.com/oo/cbc.htm still represents a noble aim for any sponsorware, even though Optout itself is obsolete.

< Message edited by Matthew -- 5/31/2005 6:10:06 PM >

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? - 6/1/2005 3:46:59 AM   
SiliconFreak

Exactly as you said Matthew....everything should be totally clear from top to toe......even for some 8yo to understand (if they learned to read yet)....but...I am afraid that until we dont finally get some global law about all that...nothing will change....we will continue to spin in neverending magic circles of AD/SPYxxxx...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 6/1/2005 3:48:29 AM >

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Can You Trust Your Spyware Protection ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI