CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1322 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! - 5/23/2005 7:52:53 AM   
SiliconFreak

A leading British futurologist believes that it will be possible to download your brain into a supercomputer, in about 50 years.

Ian Pearson, head of the futurology at BT told the Observer that such technology will be possible for the very rich in about 50 or so years. The rest of us will have to wait, but of course we will have more interesting lives to record.
He said that will mean that when you die it's not a major career problem, you just work from inside the computer rather than having to use a monitor. His rationale is that Sony's new PlayStation 3 is 35 times more powerful than the model it replaced, and in terms of processing is "one per cent as powerful as a human brain".

So if this rate of growth keeps going then in 50 years we should have a computer which can take a brain dump and run like one. This was a notion peddled in the 1970s.

Pearson thinks that the next computing goal would be replicating consciousness. His crystal ball also forecasts that computer systems will be able to feel emotions so that aeroplanes will be programmed to be more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

Of course they might have phobias, or be permanently depressed. So in 50 years we could be living for ever, totally miserable, locked inside a Dell supercomputer bought by our relatives to keep us alive. Suddenly the future does not look so good.

More here...

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! - 5/23/2005 12:10:57 PM   
semo

apparently it will also be possible to make planes even more scared of crashing than the paranoid passengers its carrying so that it makes everything it can to stay in the air until it reaches its destination..... at which point it plummets to the ground and explodes, turning into a ball of fire perhaps (the article i read wasn't very clear)

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! - 5/23/2005 4:49:59 PM   
SiliconFreak

Those "scared planes" dont scare me much.......the thing it does is...whether it would be possible to reverse that process....to actually upload something into our brains...that would really be scary...it remembers me about the movie with A.Schwarzenegger....ERASER was the title if my brain still serves me ok... ...and if that will be made possible in near future....huhhhhhhh...we will all live in some virtual worlds (at least our brains will try to convince us into that....)

...but then again...still 50 years to go...we need to worry about Windows,Intel,AMD,ATI,Nvidia,etc..etc...for now...and lets leave those brain washing machines to scientists for now...

Buon Voyage....

**EDIT**
Just imagine having some injections...with various names on them....and i.e...on one it would be written "Microsoft +++"...and after injecting it into our bodies....we will all love all Microsoft products....we will buy them....until our credits run out for that month....and the next month...again buy buy buy.... Isnt that scary semo (and others)? I guess that this is where You should really be cynical....

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 5/23/2005 4:58:20 PM >

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! - 5/23/2005 6:09:09 PM   
semo

what if they could inject you with something that will make men dislike monkeys. why why would somebody do such a thing

but the story about the wussy planes is real. the idea is good, not too sure if inflicting terror is exactly necessary.. think about it we have human rights, animal rights and perhaps aeroplane rights in the future

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! - 5/24/2005 5:22:15 AM   
SiliconFreak

No more comments from me on this one....because if I start thinking about all possibilities this could offer someday...it gives me lots of worries and a biggg headache...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Download Your Brain Onto A Computer !! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI