CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1404 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! - 5/10/2005 6:27:29 AM   
SiliconFreak

A compromise for future DVD technologies appears to be on the brink of completion between two competing technologies, Blu-ray and HD DVD.

The former is backed by Japanese giant Sony and the latter by its fierce competitor Toshiba. But, according to a story in today's Nihon Keizai Shimbun, the two camps are close to an agreement on a common standard with the rough edges smoothed out with detailed proposals by the end of this week.

According to the newspaper, Toshiba will have to compromise on disk formats and there are costs associated with such a sea-change.

It's likely, the report adds, that both camps will agree on Sony's ideas for the optical disks, while Toshiba's software, including copyright and data structures, would form part of a common standard.

The newspaper thinks that Toshiba is giving ground on former objections, but has to persuade manufacturers of components to come round to its way of thinking. On its side, Sony has to overcome objections from its Blu-ray partner, Matsushita.

Source : TheInquirer
Post #: 1
RE: Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! - 5/10/2005 11:49:15 AM   
emperor

while i can hope that such news will bring a united blue-laser format, i wouldn't bet much on that...lets see what the future holds

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! - 5/11/2005 5:56:13 AM   
SiliconFreak

Exactly....lets all just sit down, wait and see what future will bring us....and meanwhile...Beer anyone?

Post #: 3
RE: Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! - 5/11/2005 6:13:29 AM   
SithTracy

Hmmm... Sony and Blu-Ray.  Wonder if this is anything like Sony and BetaMax, or Sony and ATRAC, or Sony and Memory Stick/MiniDisc/Hi8 or whatever they have failed at in the past.  I for one can't understand Sony and their bully tactics.  Are they still that arrogant that they think they can push a standard and corner a market?

Sorry, Sony has a reputable name, but everything is proprietary with them.  I never saw any BetaMax tapes in video stores... I don't see any ATRAC swap sites...  Just my opinion -- not trying to start a war over what is better... I am just looking at Sony's track record.

Post #: 4
RE: Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! - 5/11/2005 10:09:04 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Well, Sony owns a significant chunk of the movie industry... and beyond that they have a significant chunk of the gaming industry. So whatever format they decide is going to be THEIR format, is going to have a lead no matter what. However if other equally strong companies remain set against them, then we'll just have a DVD-R vs. DVD+R situation again.

Personally, I hope that Sony and Toshiba will finally agree on merging the formats... but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Blu-ray, HD Deal Close Between Sony, Toshiba ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI