CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer rate graph.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 667 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer rate graph. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/11/2005 1:14:42 PM   
muchin

What I said above may account for the major dips. They may not always occur, but when they do, they coincide with the gaps. It is better to use albums with 5-10 tracks for testing. You should not discard this possibility without doing some tests.

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 17
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/11/2005 4:05:19 PM   
lalittle

quote:

ORIGINAL: muchin

What I said above may account for the major dips.  It is better to use albums with 5-10 tracks for testing. You should not discard this possibility without doing some tests.

This really doesn't appear to be the case from what I'm seeing, and I HAVE done tests with albums containing only a small number of tracks.  As I mentioned earlier, I get some graphs with VERY even dips across the entire graph -- i.e. there are no "major" ones, but rather just a series of similar dips that continue at VERY even intervals accross the length of the graph, and there are a lot more dips than there are gaps between songs.

Thanks again,

Larry

(in reply to muchin)
Post #: 18
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/12/2005 4:10:00 PM   
muchin

It seems hard for you to change your mind-set, try to think the other way around. Don't hope to find a single reason to explain all of the speed dips, as the causes for different ones may vary. Pay attention only to discs with larger dips for the time being. Test a few more albums from different companies before rejecting the possibility, for gaps may be imposed in different ways. Use pristine discs; do I need to mention that?  As I said before, I am not certain about your cases, but since nobody else can offer an explanation, why not consider my suggestion more seriously?

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 19
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/13/2005 6:05:43 AM   
lalittle

quote:

ORIGINAL: muchin

Test a few more albums from different companies before rejecting the possibility, for gaps may be imposed in different ways. Use pristine discs; do I need to mention that?  As I said before, I am not certain about your cases, but since nobody else can offer an explanation, why not consider my suggestion more seriously?

It's not that I'm not considering your suggestion seriously -- it's that the results of my tests do not support the theory, and I really have done the tests as you suggest.  I can take 2 different pristine, factory audio CDs containing different numbers of tracks and end up with graphs that look essentially identical.  The graphs I sometimes get are MUCH more "even" than the one shown above -- i.e. they contain dips of the same length at very even intervals accross the graph.  These results simply do not support the idea that it's the tracks or the spaces between them that is causing this.  The tests I've done indicate that there is no connection between the tracks and the appearance of the dips.

I do appreciate your input here.

Thanks,

Larry

(in reply to muchin)
Post #: 20
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/13/2005 1:56:13 PM   
muchin

Are those albums with “evenly” spaced dips copy-protected?

For those CDs not copy-protected and with unevenly spaced dips, I think the possibility of gaps as the cause has not been rigorously excluded yet.

(in reply to lalittle)
Post #: 21
[Deleted] - 10/31/2005 8:59:42 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to muchin)
  Post #: 22
RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer... - 10/31/2005 3:24:07 PM   
lalittle

Thanks for the followup.  I figured that this was "normal" since mulitple drives show the exact same behavior, but I have to say that the idea of this "noise" making the drive stop/start doesn't sit that well with me.  Also, the occasional lack of dips doesn't make sense to me if this behavior is by design.  It seems like it should always do this 100% of the time, but this is not the case.

Thanks again,

Larry

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 23
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: "CD/DVD Speed" -- smoothness of transfer rate graph. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI