CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Gates Calls for End To Foreign Worker Visa Limits !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1362 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Gates Calls for End To Foreign Worker Visa Limits ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gates Calls for End To Foreign Worker Visa Limits ! - 4/28/2005 11:46:22 AM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft chair voices views at U.S. technology innovation hearing.

WASHINGTON--Congress should do away with limits on how many foreign workers technology companies can bring into the United States, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said today.

Asked what he would do if he were king for a day and could make any changes to U.S. policy, Gates said that he'd eliminate the H1-B program, which limits the number of visas businesses can grant to highly skilled foreign workers. Gates participated in a Microsoft-sponsored panel discussion in Washington, D.C., about ways to spur U.S. innovation and help the country compete with other nations.

"The whole idea behind the H1-B thing is, 'Don't let too many smart people come into the country,'" Gates said. "The thing basically doesn't make sense. That's just wounding ourselves in this global competition."

Gates and Richard Rashid, senior vice president for Microsoft research, both complained that the company cannot find enough qualified computer science applicants, and that the H1-B visa limit, which now stands at 65,000 workers per year, has restricted Microsoft's ability to attract top IT workers.

The U.S. education system produces fewer math and science graduates than countries such as India and China, and top IT workers in those and other countries often opt to stay home rather than join the queue to work at a U.S. company, Gates said.

Read more...

Source : PC World
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Gates Calls for End To Foreign Worker Visa Limits ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI