I RECENTLY GOT A PS2 AND ROMENED THE FOUROUMS RELENTLESSLY LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT MY STURTY NEW MACHINE.ALL I FOUND WAS ******* ARGUING AND NO REAL SOLID INFORMATION.FURTHURMORE I FOUND A NEAT TEXT FILE ON HOW TO MAKE SELFBOOT COPIES OF YOUR OLDER CLASSIC PS2 GAMES (CD-ROM BASED_)THE PROBLEM IS I CANT REALLY UNDERSTAND IT SOOO IF SOMEONE TRYES IT AND/OR HELP ME OUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT HEAPS TANKZ
PSX & PS2 SELF BOOT COPY
· ***NEW*** PSX/PS2 Self-Booting COPIES !: Finally I decided to release the knowledge & tools you need to make your PSX/PS2 CDR copies bootable !!
Yes it is VERY possible to avoid the bootcd and the bootchip altogether. After all the BEST way to boot a copy is if it's NOT a copy ;)
This tutorial will walk you through the 'tedious' steps of properly 'extracting' & combining the PSX/PS2 boot files & the game. This tutorial DOES NOT cover DVDR copies !
Be for warned this is VERY 'tedious' and MUST be done with EACH copy you wish to boot (ie - it's easier to use the bootcd).
· You CANNOT do this without my 'PSX Tools Zip' Download Tools
· STEP 1: Create the following directory: C:\TEMP\PSX
· STEP 2: Startup CDRWIN and choose "extract disc/track/sectors" from the options.
· STEP 3: Configure CDRWIN 'Exactly' as it is in this picture.
· STEP 4: You MUST extract EACH of the 16 sectors that are bootable SEPERATLY and name them as such - S1, S2, S3 ect. or the merge will NOT work !!
· Use the table below along with the CDRWIN Setting picture to correctly extract the sectors.
The process of extraction MUST be as follows:
Sectors From & To Name Directory 000000-000000 S1 C:\TEMP\PSX\S1 000001-000001 S2 C:\TEMP\PSX\S2 000002-000002 S3 C:\TEMP\PSX\S3 000003-000003 S4 C:\TEMP\PSX\S4 000004-000004 S5 C:\TEMP\PSX\S5 000005-000005 S6 C:\TEMP\PSX\S6 000006-000006 S7 C:\TEMP\PSX\S7 000007-000007 S8 C:\TEMP\PSX\S8 000008-000008 S9 C:\TEMP\PSX\S9 000009-000009 S10 C:\TEMP\PSX\S10 000010-000010 S11 C:\TEMP\PSX\S11 000011-000011 S12 C:\TEMP\PSX\S12 000012-000012 S13 C:\TEMP\PSX\S13 000013-000013 S14 C:\TEMP\PSX\S14 000014-000014 S15 C:\TEMP\PSX\S15 000015-000015 S16 C:\TEMP\PSX\S16
NOTE 1: These first sixteen blocks of the PSX/PS2 disc are the "boot" blocks. This is WHY these must be extracted one at a time & separated from the game during extraction.
NOTE 2: The rest of the data is what we NOW extract as the 'game' (see instructions below). I told you this was VERY tedious !!!
· STEP 5:Now to extract the rest of the CD (the game) without the boot-sectors !
Now the games sectors vary from CD to CD so each CD NEEDS to be 'tested' before extraction, so that we know what the ending sectors are.
Open CDRWIN and choose 'backup disc' and just leave everything on default. You can name it ANYTHING during this test and press the 'START' button. It will give you a message like this.
For that disc the ENDING sector is '066120'. Now setup CDRWIN the way you had it set to extract the 16 boot sectors BUT this time for the sector range put: 000016-066120.
NOTE: Every game will start with 000016 but as I said the END will be different so don't put in 066120 unless that what it is ! Make sure you the name this file GAME so it will be (C:\TEMP\PSX\GAME.BIN)
· STEP 6: Now if you have done everything correctly, you should have a total of 17 files. That includes; the 16 boot sectors which SHOULD be named 'S1-S16' and the game ISO which should be named 'game.bin' See Picture.
Copy the files 'boot.bat' and 'boot.cue' (that were in the PSX Copy tools Zip) into that directory.
Now run the boot.bat file (this may take sometime so be patient) and if it's working you'll see this See Picture.
· STEP 7:OK if you named everything correctly and followed my instructions there should have been a file called 'boot.bin' produced !
Time to load up the 'boot.cue' & burn it with CDRWIN onto a blank CDR, the ONLY setting you'll need to do with CDRWIN is make sure the 'RAW' mode button is checked before burning.
· NOTE: NOT all burners support the RAW mode burning option, if yours doesn't YOU'LL NEED to find a program that supports your burner in RAW (DAO) mode, Alternatives are Fire Burner OR Blind Write.
That's it, now you will have a FULLY BOOTABLE PSX/PS2 CDR COPY !!!
· STEP 8 (Imports): Simply making a self boot copy still won't defeat the Regional Lockout protection. This can simply be done by changing the country code, use a regional tool to change alter it.
FOLLOW the same steps, except before you run the boot.bat file USE the regional tool on the 'game.bin' file. Then not only will your IMPORT boot, it'll play on a console it was NEVER MADE FOR !
You can get a good regional tool from this link. Download Regional Tool