CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windows system...   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 831 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windows system... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windows s... - 4/26/2005 9:22:44 AM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft provided a preview of the new test version of the Windows operating system, saying it would offer more security and "ignite the most promising era yet of industrywide innovation."

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates outlined plans for the new version of Windows, code-named "Longhorn," and expected to be launched publicly in 2006, at a company conference at which software developers were given previews of the new software.

Microsoft said the new software would be integrated with more powerful microprocessors that use 64-bit technology, vastly increasing the capacity of the current 32-bit systems.

This will vastly increase computing power for graphics, games and other complex functions for users of Windows, the operating system used on some 90 percent of some 90 percent of the world's personal computers.

"The next decade will bring about a new wave of innovation in the technology industry through the increased security, greater reliability and faster performance enabled by 64-bit computing and continued advances in Windows," Gates said.

"'Longhorn' and the new x64-bit versions of Windows are the best foundation for a new generation of faster, more powerful hardware and software that expands the possibilities for computing and transforms the way we work and play."

Gates said the combination of the new Windows system and more powerful processors would enhance security against spyware, fraud schemes known as "phishing" that use fake lookalike websites that aim to steal sensitive data.

"The new x64 versions of Windows will take advantage of 64-bit architecture advances that help block some of the most destructive worms and exploits of recent years," the company said.

"Users of x64 Windows also will realize dramatic improvement with processor-intensive applications, such as video editing and gaming, and when managing their growing stockpiles of e-mail, photos and other files on most PCs."

Gates told an audience of 2,800 software developers and experts that the new software is hte next step in the evolution of the Windows-based PC from a stand-alone box into a multipurpose entertainment and workplace hub.

"Technology that was once locked away on centralized servers, like ultra-fast connectivity and high-performance computing power, is now right where people want it -- on their desktops, in their living rooms and in their hands," Gates said.

"Sixty-four-bit computing is the next big step for the desktop," said Rob Enderle, analyst for the Enderle Group, in a Microsoft statement.

"It promises a substantial improvement for graphically intensive applications and the inherent improvements in reliability and security that we've come to expect with moves like this. It also will do amazing things for games, which will, when written to it, provide a vastly more realistic virtual reality then we have ever seen before."

But Jupiter Research analyst Joe Wilcox said 64-bit computing is not new, noting that it is already available on Unix and Linus, with the Windows XP professional edition just joining the system,

"Microsoft has to make big noise about 64-bit Windows, because there is no other new operating system," Wilcox said.

"With Longhorn well more than a year away, 64-bit Windows is the only new thing Microsoft has got to excite partners. And I want to be clear about that: All this 64-bit hype is for partners, not really for customers."

Source : WASHINGTON5 (AFP)
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windo... - 4/26/2005 7:33:13 PM   
MP3Mogul

They also announced that the new version of windows on NEW PC's could be contained on a CHIP!!!!! Excuse me, they may make the software, but I will not buy a computer that MS has put it's operating system on a CHIP! Suppose I want Linux?

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windo... - 4/26/2005 9:03:50 PM   
SithTracy

That is precisely why I build my own... Freedom of choice. I use MS products, I don't hate MS, but I like to be open minded in the computing world. It is constantly changing. And while MS may be trying for world domination, I still believe competition is healthy for the industry. Heck, I still prefer WordPerfect over Word, but Excel rocks and shhh... here comes OpenOffice.org 2.0!!!

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windo... - 4/26/2005 9:14:13 PM   
MP3Mogul

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft gives first look at new more secure Windows system... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI