CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service For US$215/month !!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 749 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service For US$215/month !! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service For US... - 4/25/2005 8:31:09 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hong Kong Broadband Network (HKBN) officially launched its 1 Gbps symmetric service for the residential market. Approximately 800,000 households, out of a total of 2.2 million households in Hong Kong, are wired to receive the service. The 1 Gbps symmetric service is priced at US$215 per month.

HKBN noted that its 1 Gbps service is up to 166x faster downstream and 1,950x faster upstream than the advertised bandwidth of the incumbent's ADSL service.

HKBN Premium bb1000 service is being offered on the same metro Ethernet infrastructure that delivers the company's Mass Market bb100 (symmetric 100 Mbps for US$34/month) and Entry Point bb10 (symmetric 10 Mbps for US$16/month) services.

http://www.ctinets.com/

HKBN is installing more than 10,000 Cisco Catalyst LAN switches and more than 800 Cisco routers in buildings throughout Hong Kong. Category 5e copper cables are wired from the LAN switch cabinet to the apartments of each target customer. Fiber-to-the-building (FTTB) was deployed between the buildings using the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) and Cisco Catalyst 4507R Switches.

HKBN is also using a Cisco Optical Core network. The deployment includes the Cisco ONS 15454 SONET/SDH Multiservice Provisioning Platform (MSPP); Cisco Catalyst 6500, Catalyst 4500, Catalyst 3350, and Catalyst 2950 series switches; and Cisco 2600XM Series routers. Cisco's ONS 15454 MSPP enables the carrier to converge its legacy voice and data services and a new pay-TV service into a single platform, and at the same time offer Layer 2 and 3 IP services using Resilient Packet Ring (RPR)-ready ML Series line cards. The network enables HKBN to deliver up to 200 digital pay-TV channels via MPEG-2 at 4.5 Mbps to 10 Mbps with DVD visual quality. Its service also features interactive pay-TV elements and enables PC or TV connection with the aid of a set-top box.

Source : ConvergeDigest
Post #: 1
RE: Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service Fo... - 4/27/2005 6:37:04 AM   
semo

bast**ds

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service Fo... - 4/27/2005 8:06:32 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha....dont be sad semo...You will get all this and more ONE DAY...

On the other hand...I am seriously thinking about moving to HK...

I am packing all my things here...so excuse me...need to run...bye...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service Fo... - 4/27/2005 8:58:49 AM   
semo

oh no you don't.
*semo grabs his imaginary fishing rod

it's all a waste if what i heard is right i.e. the stupid restrictions over there. wonder if you are allowed to do pretty much whatever you want with this connection. if doing something dodgy with 1gbs line, there will be a lot of eyes watching you. anyway, with that line i could probably fulfil my life long dream:

< Message edited by semo -- 4/27/2005 8:59:26 AM >

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service Fo... - 4/27/2005 9:33:47 AM   
SiliconFreak

HAHAHAHHAHHAHA...

Well You are partly right...I also wonder if user could use all this bandwidth all the time...but on the other side...why use this connection for? For downloading music,movies,...??? Hell no... And even if...from where? Because all those Exeems,Overnets, Emules,Bittorents,...etc..etc...they would still download only as fast as other users have their upload limits...so there is no way to use this connection 100%...no way!!! not even from 1000 sources at once... Maybe for streaming videos? Multi-conferences(in best DVD quality each) with 1000 participants at once? Or for what?

Also...I believe that this ISP will have direct lines to FBI,CIA, RIAA and others...and they will bust You in a second if you try something "stupid"...

Buttttttt....just for example....fulfilling your DREAM...would take only 0.17 years (around 60 days only!) instead of 4562years !!!! So do Your math and see what serves You better....either your present connection....or...this one ULTRA-GIGA-CONNECTION!?

Btw...I just emailed one of my friends in HK...and asked him about this connection...so I could hear from first hand either all this is true or if there is something thats still hidden from our eyes and ears. Will tell You more soon.

Meanwhile...start saving $$$ for BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Hard disk drive....it might come handy for this types of operations....

Conclusion : even if all this is true...all other ISP's from around the world would need to upgrade to this kind of connection if (HK citizens - and maybe all others later) would want to really download information all around the internet that fast (not just from their local 1Gbps network).

Enjoy...bye.

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Hong Kong Broadband Launches 1 Gbps Home Service For US$215/month !! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI