CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only'   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 798 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 3:28:35 PM   
4kaz

[?]Please help...I am SO frustrated!!! I have backed files up onto CDR-W's (I used the XP function to do this), thinking that I could delete/change them as necessary. The problem is, the files/folders, for some reason, are read-only and I can't do anything with them without wiping out the entire disk and starting over. That kind of defeats the purpose! Someone told me to use a a free tool called 'Read-Only', but I've tried and still they remain read-only. First of all, how could I have avoided this 'read-only' problem in the first place...and second of all, any way to remove the read-only after the fact?
Post #: 1
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 3:46:39 PM   
MP3Mogul

You can remove the read only feature by copying the fiels to your hard drive and right clicking, then select properties, and uncheck the box that says "read only" I hope this is answering your question. Also, each time a CDRW drive writes to a CDR/RW it writes this way.

If you are trying to use the CDRW as a "large floppy" you'll need to use a packet writing program such as InCD to accomplish this. Personally, I do not feel packet writing is a good way to store data, it has too many bugs with it.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 2
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 3:49:19 PM   
4kaz

If I do that before copying to CDR-W will they remain rewritable there also? My sister can manipulate her files on her CDR-W's without any problems at all. Is there software that I can use to copy files that will allow that?

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 3
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 4:55:46 PM   
Matthew

The XP Function only does multisession - so if you use a RW, yoiu can add to it until full (and supercede files already there), but the only way to get space back is to erase - this is actually a more stable/reliable method than Packet/UDF mode, other than the inherent instability of RW media - data can "fade".

Packet mode software tends to be supplied with major burning software - for ROXIO products (Easy Cd Creaor and WinonCD, it's DirectCD, while for Nero, it's InCD.

You may find discounted Nero 5.5 retail copies, as Nero 6 is due out on the 18th - eek! that's tomorrow!

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 4
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 5:20:15 PM   
4kaz

I have Nero 5.5.10.35, where is InCD?

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 5
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/17/2003 8:55:01 PM   
MP3Mogul

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 6
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/18/2003 3:47:22 AM   
rabbit

i think the download version is just for updating only (eg. no inCD demo) >> http://www.nero.com/en/download/incd-prog.html

whoa, that inCD update is over 6MB!!! how can such a simple thing grow from around 1MB to 6MB? it's not like you can add new features to it.

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 7
RE: VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' - 7/19/2003 8:50:41 PM   
Matthew

I believe it installs, validated against Nero
Not sure I'd trust the somewhat beta InCD4 yet
ftp://ftp3.nero.com/InCD35240.exe
Last version of 3 is probably better, so long as it supports your drive.

(in reply to 4kaz)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> VERY frustrated - problem: CDR-W's 'read only' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI