CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1180 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/16/2003 11:39:20 AM   
atommax

Hello everyone!!!

I have a question for some of you professionals!! ?

Can you overburn DVDs so that you can fit more data on them ?
This is just a little question, but my main question for you all are:

- Can you fake a CD into thinking that it is a DVD???

I have made some technical research on CD media and this is what I found out:
- a CD media has a preroll media info track, where it is stored what size the CD is
- a CD media possible have the tracks to be written physcial printed on it before recording - I hereby mean that a CD media can only be written by a red-laser technology not a blue-laser technology.

However I have these ideas in order to let it be possible to overwrite a CD:
- You do not need to have the full size of a DVD, but maybe around 1.3 GB of data on a CD should be possible, I think.
- You would possible need to ***** the firmware in a DVD recorder, because it stores information about what to do when it reads a CD media - here you should fake it into believe the size of a CD is e.g. 1.3 GB.
- You should make a software recorder utility that can support recording in these not standard sizes.
- You need an overview over the important differences between a CD media and DVD media and recording on CD / DVD.

Anyone dare to support my idea ?
When can it be done ?

Regards,
Kristian Reesen Skouboe
atommax@worldonline.dk
Post #: 1
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/16/2003 12:33:02 PM   
sp

I support you.
Please understand there is very little, if anything at all, that can be done for consumer players.

For the case of DVD-ROM's this seems quite easy for someone programming on the WDM level. There are a couple of Chinese who are doing this since early 90's (under DOS!). I bet the same holds for a popular emulator.

But always the software can check the actual bus and refuse to play copied titles. Thus far, it seems this checking has not been implemented by protection agencies...

WM # CI

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/16/2003 4:56:21 PM   
rjw

DVD overburning.

In theory this is possible. However no DVD burners released support it and there's no software for it yet (if I am correct)

Fake a CD tot think it's a DVD

In Theory it is possible. In reality it will be quite hard to h-a-c-k the firmware of a recoder that drastic. The firmwarehacks so far were really simple compared to this.
In some way this is what the new SANYO drives do so it might be wise first to see what tricks these drives are doing if you guys are still willing to continue this project.

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/16/2003 5:06:27 PM   
atommax

If anyone knows about what the physical differences between CD media and DVD media is you are welcomed to talk about it here (if it is legal to do so?)

If you have links to information about this you are also very welcomed to post them here.

Regards,
Kristian Reesen Skouboe
atommax@worldonline.dk

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 4
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/16/2003 5:29:18 PM   
Jimmys

Actually discjuggler has an option for overburn dvd under create new dvd task

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 5
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/17/2003 12:51:01 PM   
rjw

Okay looks like the software part then is takeing care off but now we still need a drive that supports it.

Difference between cd and dvd dye's I will try to look this up.

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 6
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/17/2003 6:31:55 PM   
sp

quote:
Originally posted by rjw
Fake a CD to think it's a DVD

In Theory it is possible.

Unfortunately, every DVD player suports a number of "features" corresponding to respective SCSI commands (in MMC-x) that a CD player is completely unaware.

So we need a new generation of CD players with bult-in f/w support for these functions.

WM # CI

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 7
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/17/2003 6:40:33 PM   
sp

For PC use the solution might be a "pass-through" driver or "filter". This should be generic enough to support all DVD-ROM's, by providing vague returns to DVD SCSI commands not supported by standard CD-R media.

(And of course is necessary to interpret the media type commands and transform their bit paterns so as to cheat on the calling application.)

WM # CI

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 8
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/18/2003 2:28:33 PM   
rjw

That's exactly what Sanyo said. For there HD burn disc's. DVD players will need a firmware upgrade. Infact HD burn is actually the name of the feature we are looking here at (DVD burning on cd-r.)
So I said if someone wants to implement thi to more drives then try to find out what Sanyo used in there firmware/hardware that made the difference.

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 9
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 7/20/2003 11:12:49 PM   
sp

Overall, I believe having a CD emulate a DVD is fascinating. I expect it will never be done because it would hurt DVD sales. Otherwise, there was plenty of ground so that it could have been implemented several years ago, already...

WM # CI

(in reply to atommax)
Post #: 10
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/26/2004 6:51:29 PM   
Scour1

Hello!

Exists now a dvd-writer that can overburn DVD´s?

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 11
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/27/2004 3:37:43 AM   
emperor

Yes you can overburn DVD media (mostly +R) with the approriate burner

(in reply to Scour1)
Post #: 12
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/27/2004 6:12:41 AM   
kommando

miniDVD

miniDVD is basicly a DVD but on a CD-R(W) instead of a DVD disc. miniDVD is also sometimes called cDVD. A miniDVD does only fit about 15 minutes video on a 650 MB CD-R(W).

The DVD Player must be able to identify the CD-R/W miniDVD as a ordinary DVD-Video disc, many players identifies CD-R/W as VCD, SVCD or CD Audio and not DVD-Video

and/or

the high bitrate on DVD requires the CD-R/W reader in the DVD player to support at least 8x CD-R/W reading speed, and most DVD Players support only a maximum of 2x.

A miniDVD can be played on

- Not many DVD Players
- On all computers with a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM with a software DVD Player.

http://www.videohelp.com/minidvd.htm

< Message edited by kommando -- 12/27/2004 6:15:25 AM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 13
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/27/2004 6:40:30 AM   
Scour1

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

Yes you can overburn DVD media (mostly +R) with the approriate burner

I read many reviews on cdrinfo, but I don´t remember one DVD-writer that can overburn DVD

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 14
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/28/2004 5:31:45 PM   
emperor

Plextor 712A/716A can overburn DVD+R media

(in reply to Scour1)
Post #: 15
RE: Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? - 12/29/2004 8:27:46 AM   
Scour1

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

Plextor 712A/716A can overburn DVD+R media

Only +R? But it seems that Plextor is the only one for overburning DVD.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Can you OVERBURN DVDs? Can you BURN a CD as a DVD? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI