CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 449 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/13/2003 5:31:55 PM   
klopz

I got a bunch of TDK cd-r's today, i ran cdr-identifier on them, this is what i got:

ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Recording layer: Dye (short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f / LBA: 359845)

On the box its written: TDK 700mb 80min x48 (its a blue box with picture of colorful bright cd on it). also written on it: MADE IN TAIWAN.
the discs themselves look like silver at the bottom side.

Anyone had any experience with this brand of cd-r and has comments? Its important because i want to burn data for a long time on it..

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/13/2003 8:58:03 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I've had plenty of good experiences with 48x Ritek made CD-Rs, and TDK is usually a fairly reliable brand, even the CMC media I've come across from them has been fairly good (which is unusual for CMC!). So i'd say you're probably fine with them

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 2
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/13/2003 9:16:19 PM   
MP3Mogul

Same here, I've had great results with Ritek media.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 3
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 12:09:50 AM   
klopz

and for the most lasting cds you would recomend mitsui or taiyo yuden ?

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 4
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 4:03:05 AM   
MP3Mogul

Definately TY media, although both are good

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 5
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 8:18:35 AM   
klopz

btw whats a shrink wrap packaging for cds? anyone has a link to a picture of it or something?

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 6
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 12:55:18 PM   
rjw

Really Mitsui Gold is preffered for archiving. Unless your TY disc's are plated with some insane coating as Ceram Guard.

Most TY disc's might have a lower error rate right after the burning these days.
However the error rate of a standard TY disc will increase faster over time as a Mitsui Gold disc.(which hardly increases)and for this reason TY is less good for archiving as Mitsui. Still a normal TY disc performs quite good and above average compared to the competition.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 7
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 2:43:43 PM   
klopz

And what would you recommend if i only have a choice between silver Taiyo Yuden and silver Mitsui ?

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 8
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 7:02:20 PM   
rjw

Tough choice.
TY works better with most new drives.(Above 24x)
While Mitsui works better with most older drives.(Specially if there allmost death)(below 24x)

TY has a lower error rate most times.
Mitsui has a better protection against scratches.

In the end I would put normal TY and Mitsui Silver(real silver) on the same level. There both good and they both have there strong and weak points.
In this case I would go for the cheapest ones since both have there strong and weak points. Unless you want something specific or the following is the case:

If you have a Lite On or an ASUS burner then better go for TY. (Lite On has been optimised very much for TY and ASUS has problems with some Mitsui media.)

If your usseing an Artec drive then better buy Mitsui. Some ARTEC's seem to hate TY and really burn these even more worse then CMC disc's.
YIKES.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 9
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 7:11:52 PM   
rjw

Are this the new speed-x TDK's your usseing there supposed to be very good when it comes to ageing,corrosion and UV tests. I haven't got the list with manufactures of that test yet. Still I know that these only can be TDK /Ritek. My guess it's the first one but still they could be made by Ritek.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 10
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 10:20:00 PM   
klopz

doesnt say anything on the box/cds about "speed x"

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 11
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/14/2003 11:05:47 PM   
MP3Mogul

RJW... I just read an interesting article on Yamaha's Audio Master, that it extends the life of the disc, and helps protect it against UV and corrosion, thus making the discs last longer. You can read about it here:

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/longdata.asp

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 12
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/15/2003 2:51:02 PM   
rjw

Better against lasting against UV of Audiomaster disc's is true.
Compatability of Audiomaster disc's is also better.(lower jitter causes better compatability)

However against corrosion audiomaster doens't help.
Corrosion is a weird thing. Infact there's a big debate if you should take corrosion effects in account when your doing ageing tests ?

So Is chemical corrosion a real problem for cd-r's. Well for some disc's it really is. Fuji manufactured disc's seem to score good on allmost all points except for this point. For this reason I won't recommend Fuji manufactured disc's for storeing important data.
While other disc's don't care about it. (KODAK,Verbatim datalife plus)

Also about ageing tests most companies just do ageing tests (if they do them) based on a 2 or 3 point arhenius curve.
2 Points is completely incorrect since 3 points is really a statistical minimum to draw a straight line. Knowing the tests then you would know that 3 points is still just a rough guess.

Also Yamaha likes you to believe that they have the best product and for this reason they will allways select competitors that perform less. In other words the direct comparision between there competitors should not be taken seriously. But the fact that audiomaster improves living is still true. I also seen this fact proven from different sources.

So if they really make the longest lasting disc's in all cases is still a question. It is very good possible that TEAC/Plextor/Lite On actually burns a better quality disc then Yamaha does including the ussage ot this technique. The yamaha disc might age a little slower but the disc quality of the competitors is actually more supreme as the ageing ratio and for this reason an Audiomaster quality disc can still fail earlier as it's competition. Still you would need a very stable/reliable disc for this effect. Reliable disc's are Mitsui/Kodak Gold.

Another good example of not to trust the manufacturer test data is the test results of Mitsui/MAM. The comparisions of there dye's against Cyanine and AZO. What your seeing there was the latest generation of Mitsui's pthalocyanine compared to the first generations of Cyanine and Azo. No wonder that pthalocyanine wins big times.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 13
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/15/2003 7:00:14 PM   
Graffitti

Audiomastering is not a disc type. It's actually a writing strategy.
This means that audio mastering CAN be applied to any cdr media let it be TY's, Riteks, CMCs, Prodisc, Mitsui, Kodak, and ...

SO, the extended protection against UV can be applied to ALL discs. In this case, if you believe that Mitsuis're the best, then why not use Mitsui discs with audiomastering.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 14
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/16/2003 5:46:57 AM   
rabbit

btw whats a shrink wrap packaging for cds?

do you mean "what is shrinkwrap?" it just means the item is tightly wrapped/sealed in plastic. it's to keep new things looking new :-).

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 15
RE: TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? - 7/16/2003 7:10:30 AM   
rabbit

just realised this ... if you mean shrinkwrapped spindles of CDRs:

normally CDR spindles come in the plastic containers but shrinkwrapped spindles mean that there is no container. it is just 100CDs stacked on top of each other and wrapped in thin plastic so once you rip the plastic off, you will need to get your own container to put them in.

(in reply to klopz)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> TDK ATIP sais Ritek, good or bad? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI