CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1138 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/11/2003 6:55:16 AM   
cljtam

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum and to the world of DVD. (Having just bought a burner last night.)

Well, could any expert kindly advise me on whether I could put several VCD ".dat" files (Say, 11 Movies) onto DVD-R so that I could still be able to watch those movies on my DVD Player on TV?

I know that this is not exactly a good idea, but I just have too many VCD movies (I downloaded) that my girl friend don't want to watch them on Pc LCD...[:0]

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thousand of thanks in advance!

Joseph
Post #: 1
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/11/2003 12:42:00 PM   
sp

You can do this by creating a normal DVD with source the mpg files you extract from .dat files.
Depending on the software in the case it is smart enough not to re-encode the mpeg1 files at a higher resolution, you will get the same result as if you had created a long-play VCD, with added menus and features available only to DVD's.

I have done this using ULead. The conversion, though, is quite time consuming, but certainly substantially less than re-encoding mpeg4 files, as in the case when the source is in divx format.
Good luck...

WM # CI

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 2
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/14/2003 10:44:23 AM   
cljtam

quote:
Originally posted by sp

You can do this by creating a normal DVD with source the mpg files you extract from .dat files.
Depending on the software in the case it is smart enough not to re-encode the mpeg1 files at a higher resolution, you will get the same result as if you had created a long-play VCD, with added menus and features available only to DVD's.

I have done this using ULead. The conversion, though, is quite time consuming, but certainly substantially less than re-encoding mpeg4 files, as in the case when the source is in divx format.
Good luck...

Thx SP! I created the 1st DVD last night, it took 8 hours to convert 8 VCD movie and burn on a 4G DVD using Ulead.

Btw, do you know any software that could convert and burn faster than the Ulead?

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 3
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/14/2003 12:28:05 PM   
Jimmys

Hi
You can use an encoder-application to do your job
A fast one is tmpeg available here
http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
It has a lot of settings ,which means that is more difficult than the ulead software ,you cannot make any menus or chapters and you will need a burning software after the conversion to burn the video files in a dvd format
But its still faster than ulead

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 4
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/16/2003 6:34:42 AM   
Sammer7686

If i burn a vcd file onto a dvd-r will it work on my dvd player? If not what do i need to do and what program do i need?

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 5
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 7/16/2003 12:39:25 PM   
sp

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmys

Hi
You can use an encoder-application to do your job
A fast one is tmpeg available here

Hi
I do not know the internal encoder used by ULead.
It seems quite slooow, but of acceptable quality.
Moreover, I can not compare the results offered by TMPeg.

Quality is always the dominant factor, not speed!

So to rephrase:

Anyone knows which is the best quality software encoder for converting to mpeg2???

(For mpeg4, the answer is quite easy of course: MS series 9.)

WM # CI

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 6
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 8/27/2003 10:29:03 AM   
ChickenMan

You need to extract the MPG file out of the DAT file first and load into DVDLab. It will then see your audio has wrong sampling rate and offer to re-sample. Say Yes. Add in as many mpg files as that can fit to the DVD. Make a simple Menu and then compile. There is NO encoding here as the VCD dimensions is also a DVD standard. Any program (ULEAD ??!!) that re-encodes ios wasting your PC's time and yours. As most VCD's come on 2 disks, just link the end of vcd1 to the start of vcd2. If you cant author a DVD with many VCD's added in under an hour, then youve been spending to much time talking

Cheers,
CM

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 7
RE: Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD - 8/30/2003 2:13:25 PM   
sp

I am glad to hear that DVDLab is good on this!
I will try it next time.
Thank you ChickenMan.

WM # CI

(in reply to cljtam)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Burn VCD".dat" file onto DVD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI