CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 812 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 1:57:46 AM   
tonchang

I accidenttaly formated my GIGABEAT F60 into NTFS format. After I reboot and power my gigabeat, the screen said system error but when I connect to PC it's appear as one harddisk drive. And gigabeat room automatically start up as usual. I tried to re-ormat gigabeat again and again but there was no FAT and FAT32 format to choose. Please help me to find a solution. Thank you... so much TONCHANG
Post #: 1
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 6:12:54 AM   
MP3Mogul

I would suggest getting Hiren's Boot CD, and rewriting the drive to zero and ones (low level format) and then it will accept allowing you to format to FAT32 again.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to tonchang)
Post #: 2
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 6:25:10 AM   
semo

and next time go to the hardware section...
here it's all about news and junk

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 3
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 9:33:55 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hi tonchang and welcome to our forum!

As I see...MP3Mogul and semo already covered all important aspects about your "problem"...so I may just sit back...and rest a while...mmmmmmmmm...feels sooooooo goodddddddd...

ohhhhh...and since we talk about HDD "problems"...just wonder...do you guys know what to do with HDD which was in the formating process...but...power button was pressed...so now only BIOS sees the drive...but XP and any other programs in both Windows or DOS doesnt! Is there something that could be done? Its an older 3.2Gb drive from WD Caviar edition. I was thinking about formating it again in bios on some older Motherboard that still has the format option integrated...but...read something somewhere that its not good to format larger drives than 512MB from BIOS!? Any idea? And its also a question if such old bios (would recognize 3.2Gb drive)...really strange...my bios detects it...but when i exit bios and reboot...there stops for some 30 seconds...and says that there is no slave drive...or that there is some error...there are no problems with master/slave mode...also not with bad sectors...so dont know... And also dont recommend me some Win program to try to detect it...cause i tried at least 10 of best ones but no luck...I believe that Boot sector or something is missing...because it was interupted in the middle of formating...!? How to fix that? Or shall I just trash it? (but its not mine...its from my friend whoi asked me to look if anything could still be done...so...hahaha..)

Any help or advice will be very appreciated!

Enjoy people...to the maxxx...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 4
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 10:03:35 AM   
semo

so let me get this straight...
if you make the hdd slave and plug it into your system (win xp or whatever), you don't see it under my computer or anything. if that's the case then your in a bit of a pickle, ain't ya. the only thing i would do is try partition magic 8 both in windows environment and dos (or boot or whatever it supports) and if that doesn't work i would leave it and get depressed, but you would probably go out and enjoy the weather (maybe while kicking the magnetic fields out that ancient brick)

< Message edited by semo -- 3/12/2005 10:04:57 AM >

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 5
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 10:27:30 AM   
SiliconFreak

hahaha...hey thanx semo...actually i havent tried it with partition magic yet but i have it somewhere so it doesnt cost anything to give it that LAST TRY... Its like I said...it shows in BIOS...but from there on..nothing more...nothing recognizes it...I know something is wrong here...but...since at least it still shows in BIOS...I still got some hope that it could be fixed (low format from BIOS would help...but my motherboard (and also all other new ones) doesnt support low level format from BIOS anymore). Maybe I need to dig some old computer graveyards to find some sexy looking 386 or 486 M/B...with...format option still integrated in bios... But it would still be the question if 3.2GB wouldnt be too much for such old M/B to handle...

so...will give it last try with Partition Magic...and if that wont help...then I will test units G-forces...with some nice 10 pound hammer...mmmmmmmmmmm...just cant wait...

cya later....will keep you informed about the progress...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 6
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 5:37:22 PM   
SiliconFreak

hi...just to inform you that HDD doesnt work...i tried Partition magic 8 but it didnt even found the drive...also...tried PC Inspector File Recovery 4.0 which is very good program for such issues...(just posted the news about it today in software section)....buttttttttt....also no luck...so i am quiting this save&rescue mission and returning this nice shinny drive to my friend....hahahahaa...the only one who recognized the drive was my awesome bios...

END OF TRANSMISSION...

Thank You!

Post #: 7
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 6:25:18 PM   
MP3Mogul

Hirens Boot CD has programs to write that drive back to factory (unformatted) have you given it a try? It's saved me before.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

Post #: 8
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 7:32:54 PM   
SiliconFreak

I know that...but first it must SEE IT!...hahahaha...and since none of programs i've tried (and I tried MANY!) was able to do that...I really dont know...maybe I even give HIREN a try tommorow...LAST TRY FOR SURE!....and then...either back to friend (his trashcan) or...back to his ultra mega P2-233...hahahahaha...

MP3? Explain to me why BIOS sees the drive and its parameters....and right after i click SAVE&EXIT BIOS...it says something like SLAVE HARD DISK DRIVE ERROR...press F1...and from there on...there is no program that would see or access it...even if I boot to DOS...same happens...any idea?

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 9
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 7:39:20 PM   
MP3Mogul

Are you using an 80 or 40 pin cable? If I remember right, (which I probably don't) but this is a VERY EXTREMELY OLD DRIVE and it used a 40 pin cable, could it be that it's confused because you're using an 80 pin cable?

This is a LAST resort but I had this problem once before, and I booted the computer WITHOUT the cable on the drive, and after the computer booted up I connected the cable and then used HIREN's.... perhaps this will work for you not sure.... I did this to an old 40MB drive (that's right 40MB) that I had from WAY back in the day... HAHAHAH. Good Luck Mate!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02

Post #: 10
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 3/12/2005 9:37:24 PM   
SiliconFreak

thanx for the tip MP3...will surely try as you said (to attach cable later) cause it cant be worse as it is that way...it will go to trash if nothing helps...so....will just give it a few more tries before totally giving up...

about the cable....it is 40 pin i guess...and i believe its not the cable thats problem here...because look...that friend brought the HDD to me because he could boot WinXP that he has on it...so...we attached it...and it worked right away...as slave drive without any problem...exept that scandisk found many errors in file structure (and some others - dont remember now). Sooo...after it finished repairing...and my WinXP loaded from my drive(master)....we could see and access his drive here....but then...he said that i should format his drive...which i started...but later...when he saw that for some reason (maybe because i havent selected quick format) it would took at least some hour if not more to complete that (it was really going VERYYY SLOWWW!)...he said that he doesnt want to wait...cause he wanted to check few things on internet also...and that i should stop format and do it later... From there on (although i especially warned him about what might happen if format is interupted)....he didnt care and said i shall stop it...hahahaha....so...since it could be stopped from that window....he said that i restart the complete machine with pushing RESET button...which i did...although...said to him again that i dont have good feeling about that...

And thats it....the rest you know...only bios sees the drive...and no other program could see it...end of story...

you said that you managed to repair 40MB drive...well...those were the good old days...when format was part of bios...and low level formatting was daily routine......but i read somewhere that todays drives are more sensitive about L-L formatting...?!....so it was and still is...much easier to format some 40MB drive than 40GB(because older drives didnt have so much software and other stuff integrated inside...no S.M.A.R.T....nothing...just like comparing some 1960 and 2004 Ferrari's...both superb...but...first without servo steering,ABS,and other electronics...and the other filled with it...so the second one is much more vulnerable-sensitive to various software-electronics issues than older one...got the point)....anyway...I just know that formating this drive with some old bios that still has format mode inside would fix that problem...but there is only 1 question...if it would correctly recognize the drive!?...because those days there was a maximum size set somewhere around 512MB for HDDs...so thats the main problem-question here.......well...enough talking....lets move on...

about the drive...its 3.2Gb drive from WD, and supporting MODE-2 U-ATA (more info here)...so thats all I guess...will try HIRENs later today...and tell you if HDD wakes up...

Thanks again MP3...and have a nice day/night!

SiliconFreak.

EDIT : one more strange thing to add...the drive is like i said (all details are also seen if you click on link above)...its WDC AC23200 with 3.2GB...but...the BIOS recognize it as being WDC AC23400L !? Really strange...changing drive details manually to the factory settings doesnt help....doing so...even prevents it to be detected at startup later...!?....anyway...if i let it to be AUTO detected...and at system startup....the auto detecting sees the drive as "IDE Hard Disk" but later...when drive is described more detailed...i.e. Primary master....WDC...XX Gb...S.m.a.r.t. mode....UDMA mode...etc...(thats just an example of that)....so there...only my master drive is seen there with all details about it...the system then stops for some 30 seconds (maybe trying to access that slave drive)...and then....after detecting CD/DVD units...it gives that error from above (SLAVE HARD DISK DRIVE ERROR...press F1 to continue)...and then...nothing more...not even single word that the drive is present... Maybe format also altered or partially destroyed drive's info data or what!? I really dont have any ideas left about what could cause that? Maybe some short circuit inside? hahaha....ohhhh...wonder if a drive could be at least seen in bios if power cable wont be attached? would be or not? if it could be seen that way also...maybe its really some short circuit there...although dont know what might cause it...!? anyway...the power cable is ok...(so the drive isnt i guess...hahahaa....bye people...dont worry be happy....it just cant be much worse than that...i hope so...knock knock (on wood)....)

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 3/12/2005 10:11:50 PM >

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 11
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 4/3/2006 8:09:48 PM   
teegs

I have the toshiba 20gb, when i transfer songs to it, they don't show up in my playlist.. I can see them in folders when I look on the computer but they had a little lock next to each track, does anyone know why this is happening? I have tried resetting my gigabeat, and cleared everything off it and tried again about 4 times but it still keeps doing the same thing. Can anyone please help me?

(in reply to tonchang)
Post #: 12
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 4/4/2006 5:59:20 AM   
SiliconFreak

Maybe they are somehow copy protected...and thats why they dont show up and cant be played...sorry but cant tell you more since i dont own Gigabeat....but i am sure someone else will be able to help you out soon....so come on guys&girls with Gigabeats....help out teegs....

And btw...Welcome to the forum....Enjoy!

(in reply to teegs)
Post #: 13
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 5/4/2006 1:30:01 AM   
sunkizstme

Hi!  Just bought a gigabeat 40 and am having trouble with adding photos to it.  I had a lot of problems figuring out how it hooked up, as the cradle doesn't work so far; but now have music and wish to add photo.  I have been over the book they gave me a dozen times, but it is not helping any.  I doesn't tell me much of what to do on the computer end of the thing.  Anyone can help me. that would be Wonderful!
Thank you for hearing me out anyways, feels good to say something after I have been working on this for a couple of hours.
Thanx
sunkizst

(in reply to tonchang)
Post #: 14
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 5/4/2006 4:12:39 AM   
SiliconFreak

Hi and Welcome!

Sorry but I dont know how to help you since I never actually owned a GIGABEAT.....butttt...you may look into this section (in case you havent yet) and post there too. I am pretty sure that some of the guys there will be able to help you out for sure.

Good luck and have a nice day.

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 5/4/2006 4:13:29 AM >

(in reply to sunkizstme)
Post #: 15
RE: I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT - 10/20/2006 10:52:24 PM   
please_helpa_brotha

i need help with my f40 to when i put a song on it it is not on there ne way to help a brotha

(in reply to tonchang)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> I need some help for TOSHIBA GIGABEAT Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI