CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Verbatim +R DL   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1377 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Verbatim +R DL Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/16/2005 2:01:19 PM   
cobefn

So I take it Verbatim discs worked then?,,,if your looking for good DVD Dual Layer burn support,,DVDFAB,,,Perfect. Printers?,,forget the epsons and go for either the Canon PIXMA IP300 for about £80.00 or the canon PIXMA MP750 (all in one with Scanner and CD/DVD printing (£185.00 from Amazon.co.uk) the inks last a lot longer than Epson's, and don't have to go through that cleaning/charging malarky almost every time you switch them on (which uses Ink!) unlike the Epsons, the picture quality on the Canon beats Epson hands down, and the carts are half the price! (CDS/DVDs Look stunning!)

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 17
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/20/2005 1:41:29 PM   
semo

well i have the time to bother with it... just takes few minutes to write a short description or add a pic and scribing the label takes almost as much time as burning (in my case, since i'm more interested in quality than speed and everything i burn, i just store in my cd wallet for later use) i don't know why ppl hate this technology so much. if you don't like it, don't use it and don't flame it.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 18
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/20/2005 4:18:33 PM   
Coconut

quote:

i don't know why ppl hate this technology so much. if you don't like it, don't use it and don't flame it.

I have files that are too big for SL and the only place I can put them on is DL. Microcenter sells a three-pack Verbatim DL +R for USD 20, which comes to less than USD 7 per disk. For now that's the only way to go. At least I have *something* to store such files on. NEC and LG are coming out with faster DL recorders next month (April) and I have no reason to complain.

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 19
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/20/2005 5:32:11 PM   
semo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coconut

quote:

i don't know why ppl hate this technology so much. if you don't like it, don't use it and don't flame it.

I have files that are too big for SL and the only place I can put them on is DL. Microcenter sells a three-pack Verbatim DL +R for USD 20, which comes to less than USD 7 per disk. For now that's the only way to go. At least I have *something* to store such files on. NEC and LG are coming out with faster DL recorders next month (April) and I have no reason to complain.

now i'm not sure that i understand your problem but i assume that you think that ls works by putting the label on the data side of the disc. if that's the case than don't worry. it goes where the label shoud be.. on the label side. the same side you stick a label on/use a sharpie on/print on. that's why the have the slogan burn flip burn or something to that effect.

that's just another thing that annoys me, everyone thinks that lightscribe is synonymous with the yamaha's tattoo thing. it's not. the label does not waste data capacity and beacause the laser power can be varied, the labels have better definition. you can also burn the same label twice so that u get better contrast also.

(in reply to Coconut)
Post #: 20
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/20/2005 9:00:12 PM   
SithTracy

I understand how Lightscribe works and it is a huge improvement over Yamaha's DiscT@2. However, I have no intention on spending more money on a BenQ drive with less speed options than the DW1620Pro and more money on media when a TDK CD-Writer pen will do fine for my needs.

I saw some samples on line of what people have done with Lightscribe and it was impressive; even in grey scale. I just don't see how it is practical for the needs of most people. It's one of those "Check this out" things but professional shops have had ways to print on CD media for sometime. The technology at this point in time will not change that, and IMO, with HP's backing, it is nothing more than a fad.

HP lacks real innovation and it shows. Their printers for a long time used Canon parts (not sure if that is true anymore – I don't buy HP products because their support is horrible), they had to buy Compaq to compete in the server market, they branded their name on an iPod for petes sake. It humors me a little that their logo is “hp invent” - What have they invented lately? I think they should say “hp – If you can't beat them, Join/Buy or partner up with them”.

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 21
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/21/2005 4:44:42 AM   
semo

well recently they have invented (developed) lightscribe.
i don't buy anything hp... that's why i'm still waiting for an ls drive despite the availability of the 640i.
a practical use of ls u burn a music cd, there are 20 songs on it... try using a sharpie putting the names of all of them on the label. i know solid state memory is taking over but cds are not dead yet (and then we have dvds and bds for all those short movies u made).

the story of lightscribe is that an engineer was one day burning lots of cds and thought "there must be a better way to label 'em dang it". he had the cool idea of using the laser to etch the label on the discs. he proposed it to hp and the rest is history....
why am i telling you this? well anything that a person invented because of his own practical needs cannot be a gimmick. the person was thinking practicallity at the time. i mean you don't hear stories like "whilst fixing his psu fan he thaught, well dang it, why don't i put a neon light inside my case next time" or "he was at an important meeting one time when his dang phone rang, so he thought, if only this was a polyphonic ringtone"

gimmick is what comes out when bosses ask the marketing ppl to make them some more money. since they are idiots and don't understand their product (let alone their market) they come up with something they think might be ok cuz "it looks good" / "it sounds good". spot the deliberate mistake... that's right, the bosses should have turned right towards the engineering department not left towards the marketing (la la) department

u know it makes sense

edit: ls is a sort of a standard which was drawn up by hp. hp don't make lightscribe, just give out the rules and do the research. kinda like ethernet... some engineer had an idea, went to xerox (some weird union was formed - dix (digital*, intel, xerox) and the rest does not need explaining. bad thing about ls -- not an open standard

< Message edited by semo -- 3/21/2005 4:55:16 AM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 22
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/21/2005 6:25:03 AM   
SithTracy

Well, since my CD players use CD-TEXT, that is where I put my song names. It is simply a matter of preference on my part. As a musician, I may have been more excited about this technology if it was around 15 years ago. It would have made somewhat professional images on my demo CD's and might have drawn the attention of someone... Ahh, but that childhood dream is long dead. There is no "mission from god to get the band back together" drive in this "Joliet Jake".

It's not that I am not interested -- I'd like to see this technology more adopted; but like most folks, I have an opinion that I (most of the time) should keep to myself. There is no sense arguing this issue as it will not change either of our minds. I see you have a need for labeling song titles. If these are tunes you want to keep in your collection on CD-R, great. I had some of those tunes on some old 200 year guaranteed Ricoh discs... well here in good 'ol Wisconsin (which I often refer to as a confused southern state that got lost and went north -- if you listen hard enough you may hear the dueling banjos), the quality on those discs has diminished in just eight years. The highs are not as audible as they once were; but this is only true on the discs I use often -- I did make multiple backups and the discs I do not play often still sound great. Must be the heat generated inside a CD deck. Oh well, real world use is sometimes better than building an aging chamber.

Hope the technology works out for you and others that shell out for it now. Perhaps, one day, I too will have a drive that support LightScribe and have an occasional need for it.

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 3/21/2005 6:29:18 AM >

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 23
RE: Verbatim +R DL - 3/21/2005 7:09:29 AM   
semo

well i don't listen to music (and even if i did i wouldn't use cds) but i will use ls ccasionally too. in some busy periods i might burn an cd/dvd every day but i usually just back up my dvd games and movies and that's why i like ls. i can have the original lable on my backup and not have to pay for a special printer and ink. i only like ls because it will be cheap. it isn't now but what new technology was reasonably priced at launch anyway. i like the idea of lightscribe but i only wish it wasn't coming out of stupid hp... imagine if it was a collaboration between pioneer and tdk or plextor and verbatim...

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 24
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Verbatim +R DL Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI