CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Times Company To Buy About.com For $410 Million !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1489 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Times Company To Buy About.com For $410 Million ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Times Company To Buy About.com For $410 Million ! - 2/17/2005 7:39:24 PM   
SiliconFreak

The New York Times Company announced this afternoon that it had agreed to acquire the online consumer information provider About.com from Primedia Inc., a magazine publisher, for $410 million in cash.

The acquisition is the biggest for the Times Company since it acquired The Boston Globe for $1.1 billion in 1993.

About.com operates a network of nearly 500 guides who create sites on thousands of topics from personal finance to consumer electronics. The company says About.com attracts 22 million unique visitors a month.

The Times Company, which owns NYTimes.com, Boston.com and more than 40 other Web sites, said that it expected strong revenue and profit growth from About.com and that the acquisition should add to its earnings in 2007. It said About.com would complement its existing portfolio of Web sites and strengthen and diversify the company's online advertising base.

"The global reach of About.com and opportunities for cross-promotion between its channels and our digital properties will be additive for both businesses," Janet L. Robinson, president and chief executive of the Times Company, said in a statement.

Primedia put About.com on the block earlier this year and executives close to the auction said at the time that the bidders included Google, Yahoo, the AOL unit of Time Warner and AskJeeves, along with the Times Company.

About.com was acquired by Primedia in October 2000 for $690 million in stock.
Full story...

Source NYTimes
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Times Company To Buy About.com For $410 Million ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI