CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Hotmail Users Running To Gmail !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 707 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/16/2005 9:00:43 PM   
SiliconFreak

Most of the gains in users by Google's free Gmail Web-based e-mail service have come at the expense of Microsoft's Hotmail, an e-mail switching service said Wednesday.

Consumers who used Return Path's e-mail change of address tools were almost twice as likely to switch to Gmail from Hotmail than from Yahoo, the New York City-based company said.

Fifty-seven percent of the users with a new Gmail account were changing from Hotmail, said Return Path's 2004 data, while just 27 percent were switching from Yahoo. The remaining 16 percent was split between AOL, MSN, and Comcast.

The prominence of former Hotmail users in the Gmail ranks isn't due to a higher number of Hotmail users overall, said Return Path, since across the board, former Hotmail and former Yahoo users are consistently even.

Gmail, which is still in beta -- Google is known for labeling products as "beta" for years -- was the first free service to offer a gigabyte or more of free storage space. When it debuted nearly a year ago, it set off a space race among rivals. Microsoft Hotmail, for instance, upped its storage allowance to 2 gigabytes for its free accounts beginning last summer.

Source : TechWebNews
Post #: 1
RE: Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/17/2005 4:55:09 AM   
semo

how do you sign-up to this thing?

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/17/2005 8:51:10 AM   
SiliconFreak

Sign-Up to Gmail? You cant...because it was on some kind of invitation basis...see screenshot below...because thats what You're gonna get if You try to login to Gmail...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/18/2005 2:13:54 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

anyone who wants a GMail account can PM me with their current address and I'll send them an invite. I have 50 left currently, so I'm not concerned with giving a bunch out

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/20/2005 1:11:35 PM   
Cooler

50?! Wow...
Still... as being a pessimist, I'm not ready to bite the bullet set "wide open doors" for Google. Next thing I might realize that I have some extra toolbars in browser and spam could be filling mailbox faster than I could get rid of them.

What good GMail offers... that i don't already have? I can't think anything right now...

Quae dant, quaque negant, gaudent tamen esse rogatae.

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 5
RE: Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! - 2/20/2005 1:39:35 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hahahaha...You just cant get rid of Your pesimistic skin Cooler......even if...I.E....You would won $1Million on some lottery....You would still think that there is something strange going on...and You probably wouldnt take the money,huh?

Enjoy Generals...

(in reply to Cooler)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Hotmail Users Running To Gmail ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI