CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 771 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? - 2/15/2005 6:54:36 PM   
SiliconFreak

IBM, in cooperation with fellow industry giants Sony and Toshiba, recently announced a new processor, called the Cell. While this in itself is not really cause for much celebration (except perhaps for the odd bedfellows involved in the project) the new multi-core chip might well prove to be something special. For one thing, it's going to be at the heart of Sony's upcoming Playstation 3 console, which we have a feeling may be slightly popular…

The Cell processor is vastly different from conventional processors inside. This tiny chip contains a powerful 64-bit Dual-threaded IBM PowerPC core but also eight proprietary 'Synergistic Processing Elements' (SPEs), essentially eight more highly specialized mini-computers on the same die.

It's these SPEs that make the Cell architecture special, as you might guess. IBM describes the product as a 'System on a Chip.' Like IBM's Power5 processors, multi-processing is build right into the die.

PCstats is going to take a quick look at what's currently known about the architecture of the Cell processor and its potential as a rival to today's x86-based 32 and 64-bit processors.
Full story...

Source : PCStats
Post #: 1
RE: IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? - 2/16/2005 4:44:41 AM   
semo

maaan i knew i should have posted this article

think think!!!

anyway what happend to the claim that the ps3 will be 1,000 times more powerful than the ps2... sony don't make that claim anymore, no?
i like the idea of a new architecture in the pc market, i.e. a non-x86, but i can only see apple, sony and maybe a few other money grabbing combanies, who do not understand the meaning of 'affordable' or 'reasonably priced', selling pcs with cell processors indide them.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? - 2/16/2005 7:26:26 AM   
SiliconFreak

I believe they could make it 1000 times faster (PS's) already (and also PC's could be some 100-1000 times faster already), but the point is (from manufacturers point of view) that it just wouldnt pay off...because they wouldnt earn 1000 times more (as they would surely like to)........so thats why they rather do smaller performance increases and try to convince the average user that this is the latest state-of-the-art technology and that everyone needs that...blah blah blah......

So as long as maximized earnings (and dividends for their shareholders and CEO's) will be top priority for manufacturers...the average users wont get latest technologies...at least not for affordable price... (Afterall...have You ever think of how many computers HP will have to sell just to pay their mrs.Fiona for leaving the company...here is the point...because i believe that similar cases also affect the price of their products...so prepare to pay at least few extra $$$ for new HP's.......lets support Fiona...she deserves it...hahahhahaha...come onnnnnnn...where this world is going to....huhhhhhh...)...

Enjoy guys...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 3
RE: IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? - 2/16/2005 8:01:39 AM   
semo

consumers are the suckers, we all know that.
i was watching a program about the delorean ( mmm..) and the guy who made the car worked for ford before. in an interview he said the reason for going off to making such a radical car was because he wanted to make something new and that he was tired of releasing 'new' cars that only had a few design tweaks but were advertised as revolutionary and all that crap.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? - 2/16/2005 8:26:21 AM   
SiliconFreak

Exactly...both statements are correct...about consumers...and about manufacturers strategy (as You described)...so until we (consumers) somehow unite and say "STOP JOKING WITH US & STEALING MONEY FROM OUR POCKETS", it will be as it is now...sad but true...

(in reply to semo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> IBM's CELL Processor : Preview to Greatness ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI