First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News

SiliconFreak -> First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/17/2004 4:45:52 PM)

Microsoft has issued a hotfix for Windows XP SP2 to solve a problem about which many users have complained: programs that attempt to connect to loopback addresses other than 127.0.0.1 get error messages. A lot of VPN users have run into this problem, which I've read was introduced last-minute, post-RC2. Of course, it's a hotfix so it's only sort-of supported. They're going to have to come up with a more formal solution.

Source : eWEEK

emperor -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 6:51:47 AM)

Typical microsoft...how about releasing SP2+ ? [;)]

WinThusiast -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 10:23:58 AM)

If someone asks me...this is some kind of never-ending story...with hackers always a step ahead...which is kinda logical...and it will continue forever...because you will always need to have some (internet) access into computer, to reach (get) required information...and so...for that long there will be 'a hole' for potential attackers...because there is no 100% security...[:)]

But its up to all (not just Microsoft) to try to close this 'hole' as much as possible...and be almost up-to-minute with new threats to minimize the potential damage...[;)]

And finally...anyone who was thinking that SP2 would make some kind of TOTALLY SAFE SYSTEM that would never need any updates again....was (and still is!) living in illusions! [:D][:D][:D]

emperor -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 12:03:11 PM)

hehe, i just read the article where the internal firewall of SP2 is not blocking much, again you need third party solution!

MP3Mogul -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 2:08:58 PM)

Yeah, I would NEVER dream of not using Zone Alarm Pro....

SiliconFreak -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 4:07:49 PM)

Got that right emperor! But then again...Microsoft says that it isnt wise to use 2 firewalls because some conflicts might occur between them!? So who shall we listen now? [:D]

Anyway...I still use my Mcafee Viruscan Pro + firewall (in addition to those built in SP2)...and am more than happy for now...everything works fine...[;)]

emperor -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/18/2004 4:16:39 PM)

Maybe there will be some conflict between those two firewalls, i don't know...

MP3Mogul -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/19/2004 6:35:34 PM)

Besides MS firewall is EXTREMELY basic, did I say "EXTREMELY BASIC?" It offers basically nothing, except for perhaps a new user with a PC out of the box to protect him until he's smart enough to get a "real" firewall, say within 15 minutes of being online! [;)][:D], I have it turned off as well, I only rely on ZA Pro

sp -> RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? (8/20/2004 4:01:50 AM)

A naive question:

Does anyone know a firewall that works for sure under terminal services in Windows 2000 / 2003?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI