To combo or not to combo that is the question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues

_copycat_ -> To combo or not to combo that is the question (6/24/2004 10:18:24 PM)

[&:] I'm getting ready to build my first system, with playing graphics heavy video games in mind, is it better to go with a combo drive or get individual drives ie... CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, etc.....

vbguru_12000 -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (6/24/2004 11:47:57 PM)

Not sure it will make a difference. However, if you plan on making backups, combo drives typically don't do well with protected games.

emperor -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (6/25/2004 2:44:33 AM)

It depends at which you are looking for...A CD or DVD Recorder?

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (6/25/2004 9:51:08 AM)

[Deleted by Admins]

Matthew -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (6/25/2004 5:54:38 PM)

Why a combo? - you can now get DVD Writers (most likely a 4x +R model, rather than an 8x +/-R) for the price a combo used to be - in fact, even an 8x +R / 4x -R writer is not hugely expensive, since they've been overshadowed by full 8x +/- - One drive to rule them all, if you must have only one drive, it may as well be a DVD Writer.

Though the BEST way, is to pair a DVD writer and a DVD-ROM - or if you demand good backup capabilities, A DVD Writer and a CD Writer with good EFM (to Safedisk 2.8, preferably 2.9 unassisted by "amplify weak sectors") and coverage of all kinds of protected audio between them.

A more traditional lineup, is a DVD-ROM, with a CD-RW .... the "combo" split into its two functions.

If you need to use backups (and getting a damaged original replaced is too damn hard not to), then if all your drives are writers, you do end up relying on "hide ATIP" functions in Alcohol or CloneCD.

_copycat_ -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/9/2004 5:01:24 AM)

Sorry about taking so long to read the replies. Thanks much for the advice, it has been very helpful[:)]

digitaldoc -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 2:20:33 PM)

So Copycat, what did you end up buying?

I would personally vote for a DVD Writer, I looked into a combo, and it was about the same price for a combo as a slower dvd writer so I didn't bother with the combo.

emperor -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 2:36:34 PM)

i think a DVDWriter is a good choice, given the very low prices

_copycat_ -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 4:06:51 PM)

[sm=matrix05-coolemoticons.gif]Here's what I've decided on. A CD-ROM, and a DVD-ROM, and a Plextor 712A. This should cover all the bases.[8|] I hope.

Laffin Assassin -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 4:11:57 PM)

Why have you decided on. A CD-ROM with the other 2 you shouldn't need one !!! [:)]

digitaldoc -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 4:51:51 PM)

With a DVD writer, you don't even need another drive in most cases. The DVD-ROM is overkill, there really is absolutely no need for a cd-rom drive these days if you have other optical drives. The Plextor is a good choice, enjoy!

Matthew -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 5:30:38 PM)

If you want to play a game backup (you're keeping the orginal safe, RIGHT?), then having a drive which is NOT a writer saves messing arounf with hide ATIP tricks that can disrupt writing software.

A DVD-ROM (especially if it's one supported for PI/PO testing if the writer isn't) and a writer are a good pair, and it shouldn't be necessary to add a CD-ROM, as a decent DVD-ROM should read CDs with no trouble.

If you want Mount Rainier support, may need a CD-RW, as I've yet to see a DVDRW drive that supports it, even though it's a feature that their chipsets are often equipped to do.

Laffin Assassin -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 5:42:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: digitaldoc

With a DVD writer, you don't even need another drive in most cases. The DVD-ROM is overkill, there really is absolutely no need for a cd-rom drive these days if you have other optical drives. The Plextor is a good choice, enjoy!

So what you are saying is that a Plextor will rip Movies as fast and read as well as a Samsung 616q and supposing he wants to copy on the fly (Which I wouldn't recommend) !!! [:)]

emperor -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/27/2004 8:43:39 PM)

CD-ROM nowdays? No chance, grab a good DVD-ROM and a good DVD-Writer

_copycat_ -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/28/2004 12:27:07 AM)

My thinking is that of ware and tear. Iwould rather start and stop a cheap rom drive over and over ( which I do when I program a gamepad to emulate the keyboard and mouse for games) than I would a more expensive and saffisticated drive like the Plextor. If my thinking is wrong then yes maybe a good DVD-ROM and the Plextor is all I need. Won't constant opening and closing and starting and stopping a drive ware it out quickly?

emperor -> RE: To combo or not to combo that is the question (7/28/2004 8:49:42 AM)

As far i remember there isn't any good CD-ROM, at least to my standards. Finding a good DVD-ROM is a possibility and as for cheap DVD writer, there are many drives you can find

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI