Maxtor OneTouch HDD -
is one the few companies that manufactures Hard Disk Drives. Recently, a new
series of external HDD drives were announced bearing the codename "OneTouch".
The goal of the new series is to be user friendly while at the same time
offering high reading/writing performance along with good portability between
environments (PC/MAC). Let's meet Maxtor's new proposal...
OneTouch drive is an external hard drive that allows you to add storage to
your computer which can hold and organize your documents, videos, music,
graphics, and more. By using the Maxtor OneTouch feature,
your drive can create and store a copy of your important files with the touch
of a button. The Maxtor OneTouch drive has the following features:
- Maxtor OneTouch feature: the easy way to make a backup copy of
- Plug and Play installation
- High-speed performance
- USB 1.1 and 2.0
(Available with USB and Combo models)
- FireWire®/1394/i.LINK® (Available with FireWire and Combo models)
- Stacks and stands upright to fit on your desk
- Expandable so you can connect up to 63 drives via FireWire (Oxford 911
chipset) (Firewire and Combo Models) or 127 USB 2.0 drives with USB 2.0
- Hot-swappable to move the drive between computers
- Power Management features to conserve energy when your drive
isn't being used
- Compatible with security locking cables, including those offered
The OneTouch series offers 160, 200, 250 and 300 GB capacity and at various
configurations, depending on the supported connection interface (USB,
- What is Maxtor OneTouch?
Maxtor OneTouch is an easy way to make backup copies of your files. By
pressing the button on the front of your drive, your files are copied. It's
- How does the Maxtor OneTouch drive work?
Each time you touch the button, the Maxtor OneTouch drive opens up
Dantz Retrospect Express backup software and makes a copy of the files on your
source drive, exactly as they exist.
There are some limitations:
- Only the current versions of your files are copied. The Maxtor
OneTouch drive does not keep backup copies made in earlier
- If you delete files from your source drive and then push the button,
those same files will also be deleted from your Maxtor OneTouch
- Any files that are currently open will not be copied to the Maxtor
OneTouch drive. Close any files you want copied before pressing the
- The Package
We received a European retail version of Maxtor's OneTouch 250GB HDD drive.
The retail box is rather large and includes, the OneTouch drive, a very good
printed User's Guide, a printed Maxtor warranty sheet, two CDs (Installation/Software,
Guides), the power adapter/cables, a vertical stand and four rubber feet.
In addition, two connection cables are present, one for USB2.0 and one for FireWire connection (6 to 6 pin FireWire/1394/i.LINK cable)..
The drive case itself is well designed and pleasing to the eye, made of
anodized aluminum. On the top and bottom of the case, we find the Maxtor logo
On the back we find the drive's connection ports (two FireWire, one
USB2.0, power and on/off switch) and security locking slot. What is missing
is a fan to reduce the heat produced when the HDD operates.
When used for a long time, the case becomes hot enough, so be careful.
There are also two mounting screws that need to be removed to gain access to
drive's interior. Beware however, that warranty is void when you open the case.
On the front, there is nothing special except for the OneTouch Button,
which flashes Blue depending on the drive's operation status.
The included drive inside the OneTouch is a normal Maxtor 250GB IDE drive
with the following specifications
- Cache buffer:8MB
- Average seek time:≤9.3ms
- Interface: 1394/FireWire/i.LINK and USB 2.0/1.1
- Sustained transfer rate (maximum):
- USB 2.0 - 34 MB/sec
- FireWire - 41 MB/sec
- Bus transfer rate (maximum):
- USB 2.0 - 480 Mb/sec
- FireWire - 400 Mb/sec
- Operating temperature: 5°C to 35°C (41°F to 95°F)
- Dimensions: 1 5/8 x 5 ½ x 8 5/16 inches (41 x 140 x 210mm)
- Weight: 3.1 lbs (1.38 Kgrams)
- AC input voltage: 100-240 VAC
- Input frequency: 47-63 Hz AC