Today we will test the Agility 3 SATA III SSD by OCZ Technology. This new series of SSDs is based on new technology and has been promoted by the company as a more cost-effective alternative to current SATA 6Gbps SSDs on the market.
The Agility 3 feature the SandForce SF-2281 SSD processor, which contributes to impressive performance figures: up to 525MB/s reads, 500MB/s writes, and up to 60,000 4KB random write IOPS.
As a mainstream SF-2281 drive by OCZ, the Agility 3 series is available in a boot-drive size 60GB capacity as well as 120GB and 240GB options, it features TRIM support to optimize performance over the drive’s lifespan and it comes backed by a 3-year warranty.
The Agility 3 retails for $140 for the 60GB model, $230 for the 120GB model and $450 for the 240GB model.
Compared to the Agility 2 series of SSDs, the Agility 3 has a new SandForce controller and MLC NAND (25nm) memory. In addition, the key difference between the Vertex 3 and the Agility 3 series, is the type of memory they use. The Vertex 3 uses synchronous NAND while the the Agility 3 uses more affordable asynchronous NAND. This gives an edge to the more expensive Vertex 3 series in terms of peak performance.
Below you see the specifications of the 240 GB version of the Agility 3 SSD (AGT3-25SAT3-240G), which we will test today:
- Capacity: 240GB
- MLC NAND Flash
- Controller: SandForce 2281
- Interface: SATA 6Gbps / Backwards Compatible 3Gbps
- Native TRIM support
- Seek Time: 0.1ms
- Slim 2.5" Design
- 99.8 x 69.63 x 9.3mm
- Weight: 77g
- Operating Temp: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Ambient Temp: 0°C ~ 55°C
- Storage Temp: -45°C ~ 85°C
- Power Consumption: 2.7W Active, 1.5W Idle
- Shock Resistant up to 1500G
- RAID Support
- Compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP 32-bit/64-bit, Mac OSX, Linux
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- 3-Year Warranty
- Max Read
up to 525 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 280 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)
- Max Write
up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 260 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)
- 4KB Random Read: 35,000 IOPS (135 MB/s)
- 4KB Random Write: 45,000 IOPS (175 MB/s)
- Maximum 4KB Random Write: 85,000 IOPS (330 MB/s)
- Sequential ReadAS-SSD: 190 MB/s
- Sequential WriteAS-SSD: 210 MB/s
- 4K Random Read AS-SSD: 38,000 (150 MB/s)
- 4K Random WriteAS-SSD: 50,000 (200 MB/s)