Today we put Samsung's SH-B083L Blu-ray disc combo drive under out usual tests. Samsung's SH-B083L can play Blu-ray discs and record to CDs and DVDs. Plus, it has fast read speeds, which go all the way up to 8x. In addition to HD picture support (1920 x 1080 pixels), the SHB083L is available with a capacity of up to 25 GB for a single-layer disc, and 50 GB for a dual-layer disc.
The SH B083L is also equipped with several technologies for smooth operation, including two lenses and two laser diodes for reading and writing data to CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs.
The drive does not offer the writing capabilities found on more expensive units, but its relatively low cost could be attractive to users who need a BD drive in order to watch Blu-ray movies on their computers. It retails retails for about €100 in online stores.
Basic features include 8x BD read speeds, reading of DVD's at 16x and CD's at 48x. In addition, the drive will burn your DVDs at 16 max and your CDs at 48x. Below you can see more details about the drive's basic features:
- SATA interface, 5 ¼" Half-Height internal BD Combo drive.
- Max. 8X BD-ROM/BD-RE/BD-R SL and 4X BD-ROM/BD-R/BD-RE DL CAV reading
- Max.16X DVD+R/-R SL writing, 8X DVD+RDL/-RDL writing
- Max. 12x DVD-RAM writing/reading
- Max. 16X DVD-ROM/+R/-R reading
- Max. 12X DVD+RDL/-RDL/-RW/+RW reading
- Max. 48X CD-ROM/R/RW reading
- Max. 48X CD-R, 32X CD-RW writing
- Speed Adjustment TEchnology (S.A.T.): Automatically write in the most optimized speed for the inserted disc.
- TAC (Tilt Actuator Compensation): For reliable writing in all areas of the disc, the objective lens makes a tilt to compensate if the disc is in a twisted condition.
- Double OPC (Optimum Power Control): Optimizes the laser power checking the writing performance both in the inner and outer side of the media for the most reliable writing performance.
- Buffer Under Run Free Technology: Prevents Buffer Under Run error, enabling high-speed.
- Magic Speed: Enables flexibility of drive operation ; low noise mode and high-speed mode.
- BD read compliant: BD data, BD video of 12 cm diameter
- Serial ATA Revision 2.6, ATA-8, MMC-6 and SFF-8090 V7 compliant
- MPC level 3, PC2001 System Design Guide, MultiRead/UDF compliant
- Support Ultra DMA mode 5
- AACS compliant (incl. Rom mark)
The retail package of the drive includes:
- Samsung SH-B083L BD combo drive
- CyberLink BD Suite: PowerDVD 8 (BD disc playback), PowerProducer 5 (DVD Authoring), MediaShow 4 (Media management), Power2GO 6 (data burning), InstantBurn 5 (packet writing), LabelPrint 2 (Label designs, LightScribe), BDAdvisor 2.
- User's Manual (18 languages)
- Quick Installation Guide
- SATA Cable
- Mounting Screws
The drive sports a glossy finish, and has the stylish operation LED / eject button below the tray:
The rear panel is straightforward and and has a power connector and the SATA interface:
Let's take a look at the drive's internal board. It is recommended not to open the case of your drive since that would void the warranty.
The main board is small as you can see in the picture below:
The drive uses the Mediatek MT1939LSU controller, also used by LiteOn for its iHES208 BD combo drive.
The drive was connected to the PC via a typical SATA interface and was identified as "DVDWBD SH-B083L " firmware version SB00: