Globalsat's TR-101 is an interesting device, combining GPS and GSM functionality. The included SiRF III chipset promises very good GPS performance. The used GSM module allows use of all available networks, so the device will work worldwide.
Someone may be troubled, what exactly TR-101 does. A short answer would be that it tracks the person or a venicle that carries it back. You simply send a SMS to the TR-101 and it will return back its exact location, provided that its has a 3D fix. Moreoever, it can accept/make phonecalls to pre-defined numbers and also send SMS via the SOS message. All this may sound complicated but the overall interface is very simple with 7 buttons and good software support from Globalsat.
Globalsat's TR-101 can be used in various applications, like tracking back your kid with both mobile and GPS functionality, or track back a venicle (anti-theft protection). Its biggest drawback is that cannot be used with a PC/PDA, as a pure GPS device. With a retail price of $200+, we cannot say its a cheap device, but for sure it has a specific target group.
- Combines both GPS and GSM functions
- SiRF III chipset offers very good performance
- External Antenna provides good reception levels
- Used GSM module works with all available networks
- Can receive and make phone calls from pre-defined list
- Used battery provides 100hours of standby time
- Attractive design
- Good retail package (PDF manual is very good) and software support
- Easy tracking via Google Earth
- Doesn't support any automatic power on/off mode
- Somewhat big dimensions
- Cannot be charged via USB interface
- Doesn't support GPRS fuction (TR-102 model)
- Cannot be used as a dedicated GPS device with PC/PDA