We heard the hype…."the coolest, slimmest Smartphone ever." But, how true was all that? Is the new Motorola Q the Smartphone that you finally put in your pocket? Is it the sexiest, coolest phone on the planet? Read on for our full, detailed hands on review.
I love my Treo 650. The only thing that comes close to making me want to replace my Treo 650 is the 700P I had a chance to test and review a couple of months ago.
I was so excited when the box showed up from Motorola with a shiny, new Q on the inside. If first impressions count, I was blown away when I took this thing out of the box. It feels half as heavy as the Treo. There is no external antenna and it is actually thinner than I thought it would be.
The facts: According to the Motorola press pages, here are the most up to date specs on the “Q.”
The Moto Q: The First no-Compromises QWERTY
Today’s users are looking for mobility to give them the best combination of style, voice, messaging and entertainment and the Motorola Q delivers. The world’s thinnest QWERTY, the Motorola Q changes the playing field for mobile devices by delivering a superior uncompromising mobile experience in one amazing ultra-thin package.
Ultra-thin Look & Feel
Fifty percent thinner than its top competitors, the Motorola Q is also lightweight and features electro-luminescent keys, QWERTY keyboard, thumbwheel for single-handed control, and internal antenna. The Motorola Q also provides users the opportunity to balance work and play through additional features such as a large, vibrant, color screen, Web surfing capabilities, a 1.3 mega pixel camera with photo lighting, video and MP3 audio capabilities, and cool compatible Bluetooth®-enabled accessories like the new RAZRWIRE Bluetooth® eyewear.
The Ultimate Voice Experience
Motorola invented the mobile phone so you know we know voice! Leveraging Motorola’s expertise in RF technology, the new Q delivers the best phone experience you can get on a QWERTY. Featuring a high-quality speakerphone, voice-activated dialing and Bluetooth functionality, the Q enables hands-free multitasking for today’s busy work environment.
Your Office Space, Any Place
With the Motorola Q, mobile professionals can be confident they can be productive by having a quality phone and email experience in an innovative and stylish form factor. The Motorola Q leverages Microsoft’s familiar and trusted Windows Mobile software and is among the first devices to run on the new Windows Mobile 5.0 platform which delivers scalable and cost-effective mobile messaging support with Exchange 2003 out of the box.
Summary of Key Features
One of the first devices to run on Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0; Optimized for Microsoft Exchange 2003 and a variety of third party email solutions that enable a broad set of corporate email capabilities.
- Thinnest QWERTY device in the world – 11.5mm
- Full, ergonomic QWERTY keyboard, 5-way navigation button and thumb wheel
- Video clip capture and playback
- Connectivity via Bluetooth, IrDA and mini-USB; compatible with Motorola H500, HT820, H5, H600, H700 Bluetooth wireless headsets
- Multi-Media Messaging (MMS)
- Dual, stereo-quality speakers
- Audio formats supported: iMelody, MIDI, MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, WAX, QCELP
- Image formats supported: GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG, WBMP, BMP, PNG
- Video formats supported: H.263, MPEG-4, GSM-AMR, AAC, WMV
- Mini-SD removable memory card slot
- Large, high-resolution display (320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT)
- 1.3 mega pixel camera with photo lighting
- PIM functionality with Picture Caller ID
- Advanced speech recognition and speakerphone
All that being said, let’s take a look at this baby up close.