LG Electronics today officially unveiled its latest flagship smartphone LG G2, the first smartphone introduced under LG's new "G" Series for premium devices.
Based on LG's research of consumer lifestyles and behaviors, the smartphone offers users real-life benefits such as ergonomic design, practical functions and an intuitive user experience.
"Our definition of innovation today is technology that truly resonates with consumers," said Dr. Jong-seok Park, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. "We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2, the most exciting and ambitious mobile phone in our company's history."
The LG G2 is placing all the buttons on the rear of the device, making this the first smartphone to be completely devoid of side buttons. The Rear Key concept came from the realization when studying users that the larger the phone became, the more difficult it was to properly access the side keys. Moving the main buttons to the back of the phone gave users more control since this place was where individuals' index fingers are naturally located.
Long-pressing on the rear-mounted volume keys allows users to launch QuickMemo and the camera, making note taking and photo capturing even easier than before. And if the LG G2 is lying on a surface face up, there's no need to lift the phone to access the power button on the back. With KnockON, the LG G2 can be powered on simply by tapping twice on the display.
The smartphone incorporates a 5.2-inch Full HD IPS display. LG's Dual Routing technology reduced the phone's bezel to a mere 2.65mm on the side edge. For more efficient energy usage, the LG G2 employs Graphic RAM (GRAM) technology. GRAM reduces the display's energy use by up to 26 percent on a still frame and increases overall usage time on the device by approximately 10 percent. And with a 3,000mAh battery, the LG G2 is more than ready for a full day's work or play.
The LG G2's 13MP high-resolution camera comes equipped with Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) technology to prevent blurring. And features such as Super Resolution and Multi-point AF help keep everything in focus.
The LG G2 is also the first smartphone on the market today to feature 24 bit/192kHz Hi-Fi playback that reproduces studio-like quality sound, which is superior to a CD.
The LG G2 comes with a number of user experience (UX) features:
- Answer Me - Automatically answers the call after lowering the ringtone when the phone is raised to one's ear.
- Plug & Pop - Recommends options or related features to choose from when the earphone or USB cable is detected.
- Text Link - Allows information embedded in text messages to be selected and easily saved in a memo or calendar and searched on a map or the internet.
- QuickRemote - Not only can LG G2 be used to remotely control home entertainment devices, it can also learn from conventional remotes and be customized to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys.
- Slide Aside - Enables easier multitasking by simply "sliding" open apps off to the side using a three-finger swipe.
- Guest Mode - Protects owner's privacy by displaying only pre-selected apps when guests access the phone with a secondary unlock pattern.
The LG G2 runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 Processor.
Following the global launch event in New York City on August 7, the LG G2 will be rolled out in over 130 wireless carriers in the next eight weeks starting in South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other key markets.
- Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 featuring quad Krait CPU
- Display: 5.2-inch Full HD IPS (1080 x 1920 pixels / 423 ppi)
- Memory: 32GB / 16GB
- RAM: 2GB LPDDR3 800MHz
- Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS / Front 2.1MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2
- Size: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm
- Colors: Black / White