Yahoo is joining the computer tablet bandwagon with a digital magazine designed for the iPad, called Livestand. The application can be customized to pull content from Yahoo's website and other participating publishers.
"Tablets are profoundly changing how we interact with media and Livestand
captures that shift in a deeply personal and imaginative new experience," said
Blake Irving, EVP and chief product officer at Yahoo!, from a press event at the
company's Sunnyvale headquarters. "No one does personalization better than
Yahoo!. The technology behind Livestand, combined with its stunning design and
fantastic variety of content, redefines what digital media can be."
Features of Livestand from Yahoo include:
- My Library: A personal collection of publications and topics.
- Personal Mix: A personalized magazine that is customized by tagging topics and
- Yahoo Today: A new Yahoo publication that captures personalized daily
essentials like weather, stocks, entertainment news, sports, and TV listings.
- News for You: A personalized set of headlines continuously updated 24/7.
- Content Guide: A directory of all the content in Livestand organized by topic
for easy discovery and browsing.
- All content in Livestand is easy to find, plays within the app, and can be shared via email or Facebook.
- New design formats: With features such as News in Pictures and Sports in
Pictures, Livestand presents timely stories and headlines in new ways.
- The layout on Livestand is optimized to look its best on iPad.
- Third-party publishers: At launch, Livestand includes more than 100 titles and
topics, including content from publishers such as ABC News, Bonnier (Parenting),
Forbes, and Source Interlink Media (Bike, Powder, Surfer) - with more added
- Flagship Yahoo content: At Launch, Livestand features content from Yahoo
sites such as News, Finance, Sports, and omg!.
- Diverse topics: Livestand organizes content according to easy to navigate
topics, such as Arts and Culture, Business and Finance, Sports, and Technology.
Livestand also offers a creative canvas for advertising with interactive video
ads that take advantage of the motion-sensing capabilities of tablets,
rich media ads as well as image ads.
Toyota and DreamWorks Pictures, Yahoo's official Livestand advertising partners
at launch, debuted new campaigns today, Yahoo said.
Livestand from Yahoo is available for free from the App Store on iPad or at
www.itunes.com (http://www.itunes.com/appstore). Now available in the United
States, Livestand will expand to additional platforms and international markets
Yahoo also today launched several new mobile, tablet, and PC products:
IntoNow from Yahoo (for iPad): IntoNow, the app that makes watching TV more
engaging and socialis now available for iPad
users. IntoNow identifies what people are watching, whether live or recorded;
shows related content and personalized recommendations; and enables discussions
with friends. IntoNow from Yahoo is available in the United States for free
download from the App Store on iPad or at www.itunes.com/appstore
- Yahoo Weather (for Android): Yahoo brings weather to life with photos that
correspond to location, time of day, and current weather conditions. Available
as a free download in the Android Market in 35 languages and 63 countries.
- Yahoo Mail (for iPad): Yahoo Mail offers people an entry point on tablet web
browsers for viewing unread emails from their contacts as well as personalized
news, local weather, and Trending Now videos. Available in the United States at
http://mail.yahoo.com on iPad devices.
- Three new social features expand upon Yahoo News activity. Conversations
enable people to have small group conversations within Yahoo News. Notifications
will inform people of activity on Yahoo that interests them. The Social
Sentiment Slider is a news-driven social opinion poll that connects brands to
the conversations that matter to people. The Social Sentiment Slider is
available in the United States on Yahoo! News now. Conversations and
Notifications will be available in the coming weeks.