DISH Network and Blockbuster announced today Blockbuster Movie Pass, an online video streaming service for customers of satellite television provider Dish Network.
Beginning Oct. 1, 2011, Blockbuster Movie Pass is available for DISH Network customers, starting at $10 per month, combining the TV programs, movies and games. It features a pay TV industry first: a subscription streaming movie service bundle available on the TV or PC.
Blockbuster Movie Pass includes the following:
- Mail It! - More than 100,000 DVD movies, TV shows and games available by mail. No additional charge for high definition Blu-ray movies. One, two or three disc plans available. Queue management made conveniently from a link at www.dish.com.
- Stream it! - Stream more than 3,000 movies to the TV. Stream more than 4,000 movies to the PC. Watch hundreds of on-demand TV shows.
- Play it! - More than 3,000 video games by mail for XBOX, XBOX 360, Playstation2, Playstation3, and Nintendo Wii.
- Exchange it! - Unlimited exchanges of DVDs and video games at participating Blockbuster stores.
- Watch it! - More than 20 premium entertainment movie channels from studios like MGM, Epix, Sony Movie Channel, PixL and more.
"With millions of Internet-enabled DISH Network set-top boxes deployed in U.S. homes and our ability to offer services from the iconic Blockbuster brand, we are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the myriad of ways consumers seek access to their favorite movies, TV shows or games," said Joe Clayton, CEO of DISH Network. "When you combine Blockbuster Movie Pass with a DISH Network subscription, you get endless entertainment options and convenient access to the content you want, when you want it. And unlike other companies, we offer the simplicity of one company, one bill and one connection."
From Oct. 1 through Jan. 31, 2012, DISH Network is offering new customers Blockbuster Movie Pass included with their DISH Network subscription for one year when they subscribe to DISH Network's America's Top 200 programming package or greater and commit to 24 months of DISH Network service.
Blockbuster Movie Pass is also included for three months for new DISH Network customers who subscribe to America's Top 120 programming package. After the promotional period, Blockbuster Movie Pass starts at just $10 per month. Access to the subscription streaming movie service requires a DISH Network HD DVR.
The move comes as Netflix has stumbled with an unpopular price increase and other missteps that have sent the company's shares tumbling 50 percent in two months.
Blockbuster plans to unveil a streaming service for non-Dish subscribers later this year.