Xiotech today announced the newest member of its ISE technology family, Hybrid ISE. Hybrid ISE combines both hard disk drives (HDD) and solid state disks (SSD) into a hybrid storage pool.
Featuring the Continuous Adaptive Data Placementor CAPD, the drive automatically places frequently used bits of data in SSD to boost performance.
Housed in 3U (5.25 inches), Hybrid ISE delivers more than
60,000 IOPS in 3U, with 14.4TB of usable capacity based on multi-drive groups of 2.5" SAS HDDs and SSDs. It offers a
linear Scalability to nearly 900,000 IOPS in a Rack, which 8-10X the IOPS per rack unit than the rest of the traditional storage industry.
Active and passive recovery-oriented storage methods deliver a 5-year hardware warranty for a system containing SSDs. In addition, all drives utilize full T10-DIF end-to-end data protection with 520 byte sectors
Hybrid ISE is the first to integrate HDDs and SSDs into a combined storage pool that serves all volumes and continually improves overall performance to the applications. Additionally, Hybrid ISE has the ability to profile application I/O patterns in order to eliminate storm patterns before they arise and achieve predictable performance regardless of application events.
"Hybrid ISE's automated 'set-and-forget' simplicity, combined with the tremendous usable capacity that has become a hallmark of ISE, represents a powerful proposition for fueling better application performance more efficiently and cost effectively. And most importantly, Hybrid ISE offers the promise of eliminating the costly, burdensome administrative overhead inherent in managing traditional storage, enabling us to strategically reinvest money, time and resources to better service our customers," said Chris Schremser, CTO at ZirMed
Hybrid ISE is the first platform delivered on the ISE-2 architecture. In moving the architecture forward, Xiotech sought to keep the ISE form factor and footprint largely intact from a mechanical perspective, but expand the flexibility and performance. The most significant areas of difference in Hybrid ISE are in the areas of:
* Multi - Core Processors - Move to multi-core Jasper Forest Intel chipset per controller
* Media - Pools of storage made up of SAS drives, 20 2.5" HDD and 20 2.5" MLC SSD
* Ports - From two 4Gb to eight 8Gb FC front-end ports per ISE
* Interconnect - Internal disk drive interface moves from a FC to a 6Gb SAS interface, expanding from 8Gb to 30Gb backplane
* Memory - Expanded from 1GB total memory to 8GB per ISE
* SafeCache - Data protection in the face of power loss, replaced battery sub-assembly with more than 2800 farads super-capacitor that moves volatile cache to non-volatile SSD storage