TiVo today introduced TiVo Premiere and TiVo Premiere XL boxes, two television set-top boxes that simplifies finding videos from Web outlets like Netflix and YouTube in addition to local program listings.
"It has never been this easy to get all your entertainment in one place, on the big screen, in HD, right at your fingertips. And the beauty of TiVo Premiere is that finding what to watch is just as fun as the watching the TV shows themselves. We accomplished it by using pictures and graphics to make the whole television guide experience come alive in a way that it never has before," said TiVo's President and CEO Tom Rogers. "TiVo Premiere is your new cable box, it's your movie box, it's your web box, and music box; it's the one box that can give you access to almost anything you want, whenever you want it. We've taken millions of pieces of content and organized it for you in a way that makes so much sense you'll wonder how you ever lived without it."
TiVo Premiere is a new cable box, movie box, web box, and music box; it's the one box that gives users access to everything they want to get on their television and all with one remote.
Premiere's search functionality offers users the ability to find programs from many sources -- whether it's a digital premium channel from cable, a funny outtake from YouTube or a movie from broadband sources such as Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, or Blockbuster On Demand, plus options from the Web.
Every show, from every source, is organized by category or topic. With a full-screen menu that includes a display of movie posters & TV show logos for exploring, it's simple to stumble upon interesting things to watch or record. Plus, consumers have the option to browse by specific movie collections on their TV.
By clicking on a show or an actor users will be able to view entire entertainment resumes and cast lists.
Tivo created two-column and three-column layouts to reduce the number of screens, helping users to get to what they want more quickly.
Premiere is built on Adobe Flash software and on multi-core architecture that facilitates future development of third party provided applications.
Premiere also includes an on-screen disk space meter that shows how much room is left to record, a built in 30 second scan, and a new video window that lets users watch their favorite show while navigating the TiVo menus.
The TiVo Premiere box has up to 45 hours of HD storage space or up to 400 hours of standard definition programming capacity. And for those who want even more options the TiVo Premiere XL box holds up to 150 hours of high-definition or up to 1350 hours of standard definition programming.
A brand new relationship with Pandora means in the coming months, Premiere as well as TiVo Series3, HD DVR, and Series Tivo customers will be able to listen to their personalized Pandora radio stations on the best speakers in the house. A new relationship with FrameChannel brings web content directly to the TV offering users access to nearly 1,000 content widgets of personal and commercial content, ranging from Tweets, photos and status updates to news, weather, sports scores and stock quotes.
Coming in May, a new TiVo Wireless N adapter, that allows for faster downloads and faster streaming of content, at speeds that are especially helpful for multi-room viewing (MRV) transfers. Coming later this year, consumers will also have access to a slide-out QWERTY TiVo remote.
TiVo Premiere Box Specifications:
* TiVo Series4 architecture
* Supports digital cable, high-definition digital cable, antenna (ATSC) and Verizon FiOS
* Outputs: HDMI, Component video, Composite video, Optical audio, Analog audio
* Video output modes include: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
* Inputs: CableCARD support, Cable coax, Antenna coax, Ethernet
* Ethernet connection, USB 2.0 ports (2), E-SATA support for external storage
* TiVo Wireless N and G Network Adapter support
* ENERGY STAR certified
* 320 Gigabytes
* Records up to 45 hours of HD programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition
TiVo Premiere XL Box Specifications (all specs not listed are the same as above unless noted)
* One Terabyte storage
* Records up to 150 hours of HD programming or up to 1350 hours of standard-definition
* Backlit, programmable, and learning remote
* THX certified, ensuring optimal audio and video reproduction and enables seamless integration with other THX components
* TiVo Premiere XL box is the first HD product to feature THX Optimizer, a video calibration tool that lets users fine tune color, black levels and other settings to improve picture quality. The THX Optimizer for TiVo Premiere XL box is found in the My Shows menu of the TiVo service. A pair of THX Optimizer Blue Glasses, designed for adjusting Color and Tint settings, is included with the owner's manual.
TiVo Premiere and TiVo Premiere XL boxes will be available in the U.S. in early April. They are also available for pre-order today at tivo.com for $299.99 and $499.99 respectively.