Microsoft released the LifeCam VX-5000, a webcam with a bendable attachment base that molds to virtually any surface ? from a notebook to a desktop.
For personalized flair, the LifeCam VX-5000 features a brightly colored ring around the front of the webcam in the colors Cool Blue, Lucky Green and Fire Red. The LifeCam VX-5000 also features MSN Photo Swap, a special feature that lets consumers share digital photos in midvideo conversation and see real-time reactions as both callers view the pictures.
Microsoft is also offering the LifeCam VX-500 and the LifeChat LX-2000 ? two affordable products, each with a compact design. The LifeCam VX-500 is designed to fit on notebooks and desktop PCs.
Photo Swap: A Feature You?ll Flip Over
Photo Swap helps bring pictures to life as a virtual photo album. Using Windows Live Messenger, consumers easily can share pictures. The best part is with Photo Swap they can see and hear the reaction of their friends and family.
The VX-5000 comes with Windows Live optimizations and the latest version of LifeCam software, making it easier for users to experience a video call. Key features and benefits include the following:
- Windows LiveCall Button, located on top of the LifeCam, allows users to open their Contact Picker (a tool showing which contacts are currently online) with one touch, so they can quickly initiate video calls to friends and family.
- LifeCam Dashboard incorporates full LifeCam navigational controls (pan, tilt, zoom, face tracking and Video Effects) within the Windows Live Messenger interface
- Quality VGA optics with a VGA sensor, 640x480 video resolution and 1.3-megapixel still photography (interpolated).
- Built-in unidirectional microphone with acoustic noise cancellation.
- Pan, tilt and 3X digital zoom features allow users to adjust the image to see more clearly.
LifeCam VX-500 and LifeChat LX-2000
Microsoft also announced two affordable products: the LifeCam VX-500 and LifeChat LX-2000.
The LifeChat LX-2000 delivers comfort as a portable, full-size headset that is perfect for music, gaming, online chatting and more. The collapsible design allows the headset to fold into a compact shape for easy portability. Both the LifeCam VX-500 and the LifeChat LX-2000 can be easily used with major instant messaging programs, and the setup does not require any software.
The LifeCam VX-5000 will be widely available in June 2008 for an estimated retail price of $49.95 (U.S.).3 The LifeCam VX-500 and LifeChat LX-2000 will be available in May 2008 for the following estimated retail prices:
- Microsoft LifeCam VX-500, $16.95 (U.S.)
- Microsoft LifeChat LX-2000, $29.95 (U.S.)
The LifeCam VX-5000 and LifeChat LX-2000 are available for pre-sale on Amazon.com, and all three products will be backed worldwide by a three-year limited hardware warranty from Microsoft.