Line-Up of 12.1-inch Diagonal Widescreen Notebooks Offer Enhanced Performance, Durability and Mobility
Toshiba?s Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced its latest Satellite(R) ultra-portable and ultra-durable notebooks for consumers now featuring the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor for enhanced performance while reducing power consumption.
Featuring a 12.1-inch diagonal widescreen TruBrite(TM) LCD display, the Satellite U205-S5034 and Satellite U205-S5044 incorporate the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor(1) T5200 and Intel Core 2 Duo Processor(1) T7200 respectively. Based on the new Intel Core Microarchitecture, the integrated Intel Core 2 Duo Processors are Intel?s most energy-efficient dual-core performance processors and are designed to handle multiple tasks in less time while consuming less power and reducing fan noise and heat.
The two Satellite U205 Series notebooks are thin and light at 1.34-inches slim and starting at 4.1 pounds(2). The units include Toshiba?s exclusive LifeSmart Technology(TM) features(3), a number of hardware and software enhancements that increase security, stability, performance, wireless connectivity and overall ease-of-use in the notebook series. The enhancements include shock-absorbing(4) technologies to protect the hard drive, a spill-resistant keyboard(5), and a biometric fingerprint reader for added security.
Other features found in the Satellite U205 notebook line include:
* a DVD SuperMulti Double Layer drive that reads and writes in up to 11 formats that can nearly double a recordable DVD?s storage capacity for photo, music and video files in either DVD+R or DVD-R double layer formats;
* high-capacity 5400 rpm serial-ATA (SATA) hard drive(6) for faster access to stored files;
* DDR2 SDRAM memory for better performance of productivity applications and music, picture and video multimedia files;
* 5-in-1 bridge media adapter for easy file sharing and download;
* Toshiba Express Media Player that lets users instantly access DVDs or CDs with the push of a button on the PC chassis without having to boot the Windows operating system;
* and Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005.
?The Satellite U205 notebooks combine Toshiba?s exclusive LifeSmart Technology with one of the most powerful processors available with the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor in a sleek mobile form factor, ? said Jeff Barney, vice president of marketing for Toshiba?s Digital Products Division. ?Consumers interested in mobility will appreciate the slim and lightweight notebook chassis as well as the durability and security enhancements this line delivers.?
Toshiba?s exclusive LifeSmart Technology consists of four elements with the following feature highlights:
* shock-absorbing(4) materials to help safeguard critical components such as the hard drive and LCD display;
* the Toshiba Hard Disk Drive Protection System to help safeguard the thin and light notebook hard drive against possible damage resulting from accidental dropping, turbulence, impact or vibration;
* spill-resistant keyboard(5) that affords users time to save work and shut down the system. If an accident should occur, this feature will help prevent the loss of data;
* integrated biometric fingerprint reader with single sign-on functionality;
* a complete suite of communication technologies, including modem, LAN and the Intel PRO/Wireless(7) 3945ABG Network Connection (802.11 a/b/g);
* proprietary technologies such as Toshiba?s recently upgraded ConfigFree(R), a graphic connectivity management utility, and the company?s patented Diversity Antenna, designed to deliver superior, wireless signal reception through the dual-band Wi-Fi(R) antennas in the notebook?s display;
* proprietary Toshiba Power Saver that maximizes battery(8) life;
* and wireless on/off switch, enabling and disabling the integrated wireless LAN (Wi-Fi).
The Satellite U205-S5034 includes a 100GB hard drive(6) and 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory(9) for an estimated single unit price (ESUP) of $1, 299.99(10). The Satellite U205-S5044 features a 120GB hard drive6 and 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory(9) for an ESUP of $1, 599.99(10).
The Satellite U205 series notebooks also include three USB 2.0, iLINK(TM) IEEE 1394, RGB output, RJ-11 modem, RJ-45 LAN, headphone and microphone ports.
The Satellite U205 series notebooks are Vista Premium Ready, ensuring consumers will be able to upgrade to the new Microsoft Windows Vista operating system while taking advantage of all the opportunities offered by Windows XP today. For more information, visit http://www.windowsvista.com/getready.
The Satellite U205 series notebooks come with a standard one-year limited warranty(11). The standard limited warranty includes carry-in support at Authorized Service Providers throughout the country, or the customer may use any of the more than 3, 000 UPS Stores for packaging and delivery of the product to a centralized depot for prompt service turnaround. Customers can also choose to upgrade the notebook?s service plans, including up to four years of extended service plans.
The new Satellite U205 series line is currently available from ToshibaDirect (www.toshibadirect.com) and major consumer electronics and computer stores nationwide.
All new Toshiba Satellite notebooks are RoHS-compatible(12), restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.