Sony Electronics is introducing the Sony Microdrive, a one-inch removable hard disk drive that will meet the increasing storage needs of many portable digital devices such as digital cameras and PDAs.
Designed to fit the Compact Flash+ Type II interface, Sony Microdrive offers a cost-effective solution for expanding consumer storage needs such as high-resolution digital photos and MPEG video. Microdrive also features a high-performance 97.9 Mbps data transfer rate to accommodate rapid shooting and moving picture data.
Sony Microdrive will be available in 2 GB and 4 GB capacities. Both are compatible to the Compact Flash+ Type II Standard. With a PC adapter, the Microdrive can also be used in devices that have a PC card type II slot (Windows Me, 2000 or XP are required for use with PC).
The Sony 2 GB Microdrive (Model RHMD2G) is available now for a suggested retail price of $179 (£95), and the 4 GB Microdrive (Model RHMD4G) is available for a suggested retail price of $279 (£148).
* Capacity: 2 GB and 4 GB
* Interface: CF+ Type II Micro Drive (ATA Compatible with AV Mode)
* Data Transfer Rate: 97.9 Mbps
* Voltage: 2 GB: 3.3 Volts; 4 GB: 5 Volts
* Dimensions: Approximate 1.75 inches wide x 1.5 inches high
* Temperature: O degrees to 35 degrees C; 32 to 67 degrees F
* Humidity: 8 percent to 90 percent