Pioneer Corporation announced today the introduction of the DVR-S806-J, the new external DVD writer.
Capable of recording at up to 16x write speed on DVD-R or +R discs*1 and at up to 4x write speed on DVD+R DL (double-layer) discs*2 with substantially low operation noise. The new model will be available in Japan in early September 2004 at an open price with the monthly production of 4,000 units. Pioneer plans to launch this new writer worldwide almost at the same time.
Pioneer's new external DVD writer realizes not only the industry-leading fast write speeds on DVD-R discs, DVD+R DL discs and +R discs, but also high-quality recording and high reliability with quieter operation owing to Pioneer-developed eminent technologies. Additionally, the writer can sit vertically or horizontally and plugs into standard IEEE1394 and USB 2.0 ports.
The DVR-S806 fully satisfies a wide range of requirements from PC users, such as high productivity, quieter drive, accurate recording and stylized design as well as selected software package that offers both novice and experienced users the ability to easily create professional-looking DVDs.
*1 For 16x write on DVD-R or +R discs, please use Pioneer-recommended 8x discs or media that are designed for this recording speed. (The expected write speed might not be obtained under certain conditions.)
*2 For 4x write on DVD+R DL discs, please use Pioneer-recommended 2.4x discs. (The expected write speed might not be obtained under certain conditions.)
- Fast write speeds: 16x on DVD-R or +R and 4x on DVD+R DL
The DVR-S806 realizes high-speed recording of up to 16x write speed on DVD-R and +R discs, and up to 4x on DVD+R DL discs by employing Pioneer's original technology. When the writer records at 4x write speed on DVD+R DL discs, the data of 8.5GB can be stored in about 25 minutes (cf. about 45 minutes at 2.4x write speed). It also records at 4x speed*3 on DVD-RW or +RW, 32x speed*3 on CD-R, and 24x speed*3on CD-RW discs.
*3 Please use appropriate media relevant to each write speed.
- Playback Compatibility in all DVD formats
The new writer supports the playback of DVD-RAM*4, DVD-R, +R and DVD+R DL discs.
*4 Only DVD-RAM Version 2.0 and 2.1 without cartridge supported.
- Standard USB2.0 and IEEE1394 ports
These ports, which realize high-speed processing of a large volume of data, enable users to more smoothly and easier burn a large volume of data onto a DVD disc and playback it. *5
*5 With the USB1.1 used, the maximum performance may not be obtained due to insufficient transfer rate. (Sound skip or image skip may occur in DVD playback mode.)
- Stylish design - a silver body with black vessel
This new writer can sit horizontally or vertically when the stand is used.
- Other outstanding features
- Various original technologies to improve quality and reliability in recording, including:
- Liquid Crystal Tilt/Thickness Compensator
- Smart Laser Driver technology
- Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber
- Buffer Under-run Protection
- Precision Recording Technology
- High-speed recording and low noise operation
*6 Patent pending
- Pioneer's original "honeycomb structure" and other improvements to the internal structure have drastically reduced operation noise during high speed rotation.
- "Performance Adjusting Firmware*6" automatically optimizes the disc's rotation speed depending on user's requirements and keep operation noise at the minimum in the write and read modes.
- "Performance Adjusting Utility", application software bundled with the writer, allows users to manually select the disc rotation mode and more effectively utilize "Performance Adjusting Firmware".
- CD-ROM containing a variety of application software, and "DVD Handbook" (in PDF data) supplied with the drive.
Bundled Software provided with the DVR-S806-J (for the Japanese market):
- Sonic Solutions "MyDVD", personal authoring software, allows users to easily create a personal DVD title with simple operations.
- Sonic Solutions "RecordNow" is easy-to-use disc recording software for DVDs and CDs.
- Sonic Solutions "DLA" is packet writing software that supports the popular "quick format" and offers an easy, floppy disk-style writing operation with its drag-and-drop function.
- Sonic Solutions "Simple Backup" simplifies irritating backup tasks, making it easy to back up important data, including system data.
- Sonic Solutions "CinePlayer" is DVD-Video playback software.
- DVD handbook is a guidebook in PDF format, which explains how to use the bundled software, easy to understand even for DVD writer beginners.
- "Performance Adjusting Utility" allows users to manually select the disc rotation mode from three modes (Quite, Performance, and Standard) to change the read speed (disc rotation).