Feature-packed drives available in internal and external models make DVD and CD recording lightning fast, easy and portable
Memorex fulfills the need for speed and high capacity storage with a new pair of state-of-the-art DVD recorders. The Memorex “D2” (D squared) is a Dual Format, Double Layer 16X DVD Recorder, available in both internal and external models. Memorex D2 drives deliver lightning fast DVD recording speed, support for DVD+R double layer recording, and the industry’s most comprehensive software bundle. Each optical drive model sports the stylish silver and black Memorex design and enables consumers to easily and quickly upgrade their desktop or notebook PC with the latest DVD and CD burning hardware and software.
The drives’ precision recording technologies make single layer 16X and double layer 2.4X DVD recording possible for the first time. The Memorex D2 drives record to single layer (4.7 GB) DVD+R discs at the ultimate speed of 16X, so consumers can burn an entire disc – a full two hours of video – in approximately six minutes! The drives also burn to new double layer DVD+R discs at 2.4X speed. Double layer discs offer 80 percent more recording capacity than current single layer discs, allowing users to save 8.5 GB of extended length movies, music and sporting events in DVD-quality picture resolution. Double layer media is playback-compatible with several standard computer and home DVD players on the market.
“With rapid 16X DVD+R write speed and the extended capacity afforded by double layer DVD recording, Memorex delivers the ultimate package for creating Hollywood-style DVD movies in the new D2 family of drives,” said Allen H. Gharapetian, vice president of marketing and product development. “In addition to the new drives, Memorex is delivering a complement of 16X and double layer media, which is perfect for such activities as transferring old VHS tapes to DVD, or editing and saving photos, music, films and valuable data.”
The Memorex 16X D2 drives also write to DVD-R discs at 8X and CD-R discs at 48X; rewrite DVD+RW discs at 4X, DVD-RW discs at 4X and CD-RW discs at 24X; and read DVD-ROM at 16X and CD-ROM at 48X speeds. Featuring both USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394a FireWire interfaces, the external drive offers universal connectivity at blazingly fast speeds of 480 Mbs for USB 2.0 and 400 Mbs for FireWire, while the internal model uses a standard E-IDE (ATAPI) interface.
Superior technology comes standard with Memorex optical drives. The D2 drives feature a buffer underrun protection system that ensures uninterrupted recording; automatic read speed adjustment for optimum extraction of music, video and data; and Flash-ROM for online firmware updates. Thanks to a unique vibration reduction system that provides a stable recording environment at high speeds, consumers can be assured of consistent recording quality from a quiet, smoothly operating drive. In keeping with cosmetic trends in today’s PC hardware designs, the new D2 drives also feature a blue LED indicator light.
Ready. Set. Go.
With Memorex optical drives, consumers get everything they need to create custom DVDs and CDs, all in one complete package. The comprehensive software suite from Nero includes many extras that provide advanced video and photo editing capabilities, as well as several DVD authoring features that enhance the experience of making movies on PCs. These include:
- Nero Express 6 – Nero Express combines the strength and performance of Nero with an easy to understand interface.
- Nero Vision Express 2 – Consumers can easily and quickly record and edit video from all sources including USB, Firewire, Analog, MPEG capture cards, TV Cards and more. It features animated menus and buttons and flexible templates, allows for authoring and burning to DVD-Video, SVCD and VCD, and features full Video Editing functions with Hollywood style transitions, video effects, text effects, splits and cuts.
- Nero INCD 4 – The definitive “drag and drop” writing solution for rewritable discs, this is the most reliable packet-writing program in the industry. Consumers can write to CD and DVD rewritable media like a floppy disc.
- PhotoShow Deluxe – Included exclusively with Memorex’s line of drives, the award-winning PhotoShow Deluxe allows you to store and edit all your digital photos and images with professional quality tools and ease.
- Nero ShowTime – Play back digital recordings including movies, TV programs, home videos and DVDs with outstanding picture quality.
- Nero BackItUP – Easy to operate, convenient and powerful, this MS-Outlook look and feel is a wizard for backup jobs, large and small. It features multiple backup modes and allows for backup spanning on several CDs and DVDs so users can be confident their data is secure.
- Nero ReCode 2 – The best way for re-quantization (DVD9 to DVD5 copy), transcoding MPEG-2 into MPEG-4 (including audio), and re-authoring DVDs.
Each Memorex D2 drive package also includes Memorex DVD media, an illustrated guide for installation, an easy-to-follow hardware manual, and connection cables for an out-of-the-box media recording experience without any guesswork. A headphone jack and volume control on the front of the drive are convenient for private listening of your favorite movies and music.
Pricing and Availability
The Memorex D2 internal 16X drive will be in stores in early August at an estimated street price of $149.99. The D2 external model will be in stores by mid-August at an estimated street price of $229.99. Memorex optical storage products include toll-free technical support and a limited one-year warranty.
Additionally, Memorex announced today its Double Layer DVD+R media and Memorex 16X DVD+R media that will be available to consumers at major national retailers in August.