Pioneer today announces a multiple format DVD/CD internal writer the DVR-A07. The drive enables high-speed recording at 8x with high-speed DVD-R discs (the specification of which is being ratified by the DVD Forum) and 8x with high-speed +R media. Pioneer's seventh generation recordable drive combines extended recording speeds with precision recording technology to enhance a wide range of multimedia and archiving applications.
In addition to the improved performance, the DVR-A07 is a multiple format drive, supporting the DVD Forum's DVD-R and DVD-RW disc formats as well as the +R and +RW formats. This helps eliminate format confusion, which has become a growing problem for potential buyers. The drive records high-speed DVD-RW and +RW media at up to 4x speed, and CD-R and CD-RW media at up to 24x speed. The DVR-A07 will be available in January 2004 at an approximate price of €300.
"With the launch of the industry's first 8x DVD-R and +R drive, Pioneer maintains its heritage of being at the forefront of developments in DVD technology," observes Chris Tampsett, Senior Manager, Pioneer Europe NV, Multimedia Division. "The DVR-A07 offers an unsurpassed combination of speed and, through its multiple format support, convenience. The drive enables users to focus on writing DVDs instead of worrying about which disc to buy and saves valuable time by writing DVD and CD media as fast as recordable DVD technology can be pushed at this point."
Pioneer has sought to compensate for the varying quality of media available in the market with a range of technologies to enhance high-speed writing quality and reliability. These technologies include:
- A Liquid Crystal Control system for precise writing onto the surface of discs that have become warped or are of uneven thickness
- Smart Laser driver, which provides precise laser pulse control and achieves reliable recording for high speed writing
- Precision Recording Technology, applies an automatically adjustable writing technique that enables recording at optimum conditions for each type of media
- A Defect Management System enhances writing reliability even further, while maintaining read compatibility with DVD-ROM drives, DVD players, DVD recorders and other DVD writers
- An Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber reduces vibrations caused by impaired or low quality media that can affect performance during high-speed recording and playback
The DVR-A07 is bundled with a high quality software suite. This enables consumers to easily capture video and edit the footage and also provides DVD authoring, writing and playback functionality.